haematocrit exceed normal range after 4th injection..

haematocrit exceed normal range after 4th injection..

Postby MikeC » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:27 pm

my consultant wanted me to have 1st injection, wait 6 weeks, 2nd injections, wait 4 weeks, blood test - which showed that my T was still below the lower level of normal, and my haematocrit was raised; so she said that I could have my next injection at week 8, which I did, 4 weeks wait, and blood tests which showed that my T levels were slightly above the lower range, but my haematocrit was well over the high value of normal. At this point, the injections stopped - that was Feb-2016.

I have been having monthly blood tests ever since to see if my haematocrit has reduced to the normal range, and so far it has not got there, just now, it is slightly above the normal high value.

Is it normal for haematocrit to take a long time to reduce to the normal level?
MikeC

Re: haematocrit exceed normal range after 4th injection..

Postby MikeC » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:35 pm

My blood tests from 1-September, show that my haematocrit has returned to the top of the normal range.

To me Feb -> Sep seems like a very long time to wait for haematocrit to return to normal.

Other than T injections, what other things can cause haematocrit to become high and stay high?

Thanks

M
MikeC

Postby pwoodger » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi,

I have high iron levels due to a form of Haemochromotosis. I have regular blood letting to keep the levels low.
There are many reasons why one might have raised Iron levels and not linked to pituitary issues.

Regards

Phil
pwoodger

Postby DerryAcro » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:21 pm

hi M.
I myself have Genetic Hemochromatosis with Anemia,my problem is the treatment for one causes problems with the other, there are other ways to have a high haematocrit

iron overload can be inherited (genetic) or acquired by receiving numerous blood transfusions, getting iron tablets or injections, or consuming high levels of supplemental iron. Some of the genetic disorders that result in iron overload include are hereditary hemochromatosis (all types), African iron overload,Secondary polycythemia (can be caused by nebido injections), sickle cell disease, thalassemia, X-linked sideroblastic anemia, enzyme deficiencies (pyruvate kinase; glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase) and very rare protein transport disorders aceruloplasminemia and atransferrinemia.

Not sure what age you are but did your doctor Perform a digital rectal examination and a determination of prostate-specific antigen (PSA).
it is recommended to get Levels at baseline in men over the age of 45 years, then at 3 to 6 months after commencing testosterone treatment, at 12 months, and then yearly thereafter (very important before you start nebido injections.)
DerryAcro

Postby MikeC » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:30 pm

Latest blood tests

After the injections didnt work, I moved to the Gels' and after a few changes ended up on TestIM (100mg) which seems to be working well.

The only issue is:

Dec-16 haematocrit 0.49
Apr-17 haematocrit 0.51

My consultant is not happy that I'm over the normal range, but says that it does not seem to be causing any problems.

But at some point some undefined person (Her, GP, Me) may option to have blood drawn rountinely to counter this.

Now that I'm feeling a lot better, I've returned to weight training and swimming and Spin (the testim has worked well), and I'm wondering if this could be increasing the haematocrit levels?

Mike
MikeC

Return to Hypogonadism