agnus castus

agnus castus

Postby MikeC » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:11 pm

After my diagnosis, I decided it was time to get healthy, and part of that was getting professional help with my diet. To my surprise, my diet was deemed fairly healthy and only a few minor changes were made; and resulted in me having a lot more energy, so I actually get to the gym to train, which has also helped me feel better.

At my most recent appointment, I was "prescribed" Saw Palmetto, agnus castus and ginswena which are supposed to help make give me more energy... given the success of the previous changes, I was quite happy to give them a try.

agnus castus is the only one which came with a Patient Information Leaflet, which mainly deals with concerns about women's health while taking it. But it clearly states that it should NOT be taken if you have Pituitary disorder.

My dietitian says that I will be fine, and not to be worried, which is easy for her to say, as she does not have to endure any side effects or long term effects.

Does anyone know why it is not recommended for people with Pituitary disorders? Is the restriction only for Women, or does it apply to men also?

Thanks
MikeC

Re: agnus castus

Postby DerryAcro » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:26 pm

This herbal remedy has dopaminergic effects and can shrink prolactin producing tumors of the pituitary called prolactinomas, therefore masking them (in men and women)
DerryAcro

Postby MikeC » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:16 pm

DerryAcro

Thanks for the info.

After all the tests they are sure I'm suffering from a shrinking Pituitary and that there are no tumours of any type.

The internet says it si very good are reducing libido, something to do with chaste monks, that does not sound at all appealing.

I think I need to do some more thinking.

Thanks
MikeC

Postby MikeC » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:33 pm

Spoke to my GP, who had never heard of agnus castus, but given that the PIL said not to use if you have a pituitary issue, he said that I should not take it.

As for the other herbal items, he had not heard of them either, but because that do not have a PIL, he has no objections.
MikeC

Postby DerryAcro » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:47 pm

I would be a little concerned about the advice you are getting from the dietician, all off the herbs you mentioned have an effect on the piuitary and other glands in the body where these can be good and benifical, taking with perscribed medication needs care as Interactions with other medications can occur. They also have some adverse side effects in some people.
Ginseng possible side affects, Nausea, diarrhea, euphoria, insomnia, headaches, hypertension, hypotension, mastalgia, vaginal bleeding, blood pressure abnormalities to name a few.
Saw Palmetto possible side effects, dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, FDA urges pregnant and breastfeeding women to avoid using saw palmetto. According to the American Pregnancy Association, it’s probably unsafe for pregnant and breastfeeding women because it affects hormonal activity in the body.

I am not saying it is wrong to take these herbs just be careful if you have underlying endocrine gland problems and on medication.
DerryAcro

Postby MikeC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:45 pm

DerryAcro,

Thank you for the detailed answer.

I have stopped taking agnus castus, as it definitely has adverse effects. As for the others, so far no side effects, and I think I feel better, but it is very subjective.
MikeC

Return to Hypogonadism