Free T4 and free T3

Re: Free T4 and free T3

Postby Mgh » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Thank you, Tim for that excellent link. It has helped me research further. My brain is now turning itself inside out with the intricacies of thyroid chemistry. The discussions were mainly centred around the thyroid without the other complications of pituitary chemistry.The link made with people who have certain gene properties metabolising T4 to T3 less efficiently is all very interesting and raises more questions than it answers.

Roll on DNA testing so personalised medicine becomes the norm! I can't see that happening in my lifetime.

I always leave an hour between taking levothyroxine and any food or drink. I hope that is long enough!

Is anyone out there who is hypopituitary taking T3. I would love to hear about your experience, good or bad!
Mgh

Postby Mgh » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:55 pm

Resurrecting this topic once again! I have had a letter from my surgery inviting me to have a blood test. On inverigating I found out that it is for TSH. I have on numerous occasions explained why this is not appropriate and provided a copy of Dr Howlett's article. However, this time I shall request additional blood tests as well as appropriate Tyroid tests. I must investigate which tests are appropriate for my raft of complexities!

Having spoken to Prof Wass briefly at the Pituitary conference I know that there are definitely a minority of people who have inherent problems with conversion hence low T3 and should have their T3 measured as well as T4. My T3 has not been measured for about two years and last time it was below the reference range.
I am still doing my best to find out what is going on with me so as to get the best fit of medication to help me function as well as possible. The medical management of my various problems is all very piecemeal and difficult for me to coordinate but I continue to try.
Does anyone know why there was a move in 2017 to prevent the prescribing of T3 supplementation medication?
Does anyone have their T3 measured in blood tests? Is anyone out there taking Liothyronine or similar?

It would help me greatly and perhaps others too, if you can share your experience, ideas or advice.
Thank you
Maria
Mgh

Postby member_31784 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi
I take levothyroxine and liothyronine . Started liothyronine about 4 years ago as I was still tired and struggling with weight. Originally I lost a lot of weight as my dose was too high and T3 was reduced to 10mcg but put weight back on but am now on 125 T4/150T4 alternate days and 20mcg T3 split into 10mcg morning and night. Think this dose suits me, no longer losing weight but not gaining either and energy levels more normal. I’ve read somewhere that some docs don’t see any benefit in T3 but I feel better on it than not.
member_31784

Postby Mgh » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am

Thank you for letting me know that you are taking Liothyronine and about its effect. I shall add T3 to the list of July blood tests and hope for the best. I am hopeful but not confident, given my past experience.
Testing and treatment generally seems to be a bit of a lottery depending on NHS postcode combined with the particular interests and expertise of the medic one sees. The lack of communication and coordination among hospital medics and between them and GP means it is very easy to fall between all the stools! I experience this as a reluctance and perhaps lack of knowledge, time issues and some fear on the part of the GP surgery. It often leads to GP failing to investigate properly and engage with the more complex patient with comorbidities.
It would be great if we could identify where there is 'best practice' and learn how to improve less good practice.
Thank you
Maria
Mgh

Previous

Return to Hypopituitarism