Just unfit or something Pituitary related.

Just unfit or something Pituitary related.

Postby MikeDCross » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Hi,

The last change in meds has made a massive difference:
- I have a lot more energy,
- have resumed proper weight training, and I'm getting stronger and clearly gaining muscle.
- My CV endurance (slow but long) is good.

But, there is always a But, when I try dynamic full body exercises, DB snatch, DB Squat to push, or the dreaded TRX, within 15 reps I end up an exhausted heap on the foot. Now I had expected it to be hard, but not this hard.

So, am I just that unfit that these things exhaust me; or am I hitting some pituitary related issue?

I'm hoping you are going to tell me that I'm just old and unfit ;-)

Mike
MikeDCross

Re: Just unfit or something Pituitary related.

Postby Pat » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 am

Hi Mike

just a question - are you on growth hormone at all?
have you been tested for this if not?

thanks
Pat

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Alas No, I have tried to convince my consultant to check my levels and consider prescribing, but she is insistent, I get T and that it all. I'm seeing her in 2 months time, so I will see if I can change her mind.
MikeDCross

Postby Pat » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:42 pm

We do have a GH fact sheet if you want me to email it to you. This lets you know of criteria, test results, quality of life questionnaire too.
Let me know if you want this

thanks
Pat

Postby MikeDCross » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:40 pm

Pat,

I've found the "Growth hormone factsheet" on the web and it looks really interesting. Are there other documents I should be looking at?

Thanks

Mike
MikeDCross

Postby Pat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:25 am

Hi Mike

I would suggest completing the QoL questionnaire at the end and taking this with you to your next appointment. Also maybe speak with Alison our nurse who is back on Monday 13 March 10am - 1pm and 6pm - 9pm on 0117 370 1317 for advice re being tested.

thanks
Pat

Postby MikeDCross » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:36 pm

Pat

Thank you very much - will do.

Mike
MikeDCross

Postby member_31784 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi Mike

This may not be what you want to hear but a consultant once told me that with hypopituitarism your best is only ever second best. Even with full replacement my energy levels are not like before and find I need more rest particularly after a busy day. I agree with Pat get tested for GH as I found replacement helped not just with energy but with outlook. If you're on thyroxine I also found liothyronine helped with energy.

I also founds weight training helpful in building muscle but nothing like the level your describing, but at my granny level it helped.

Good luck.
member_31784

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:57 am

talked to my endro consultant; she thinks I need to talk to my Osteo consultant - once I get the copies of the blood test results I will see if I can get an appoinment.
MikeDCross

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:18 pm

member_31784 wrote:Hi Mike

This may not be what you want to hear but a consultant once told me that with hypopituitarism your best is only ever second best.

Good luck.

I missed this comment from your consultant when you posted it and I'm not sure I agree with it. Even without hypopituitarisim everyone is different, how easily they get fit and how they respond to exercise is different. This is no different for people like us with some kind of pituitary disorder....bearing in mind that there are lots of variants of pituitary disorders and how people respond to the treatments varies too.

So I would agree that it maybe a lot harder for people with pituitary disorders to get the right balance of hormones replaced so they can feel their best, but I don't agree that it isn't possible to get to that best, only second best. You see enough stories of people with adrenal insufficiency going on to do marathons and even be elite athletes, so my personal mindset would prevent me from believing my condition would get in the way of me achieving my best.....but yes, it may be harder and more complicated due to my medical condition. Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones! :)
Carl

Next

Return to Hypopituitarism