7 minutes with consultant

7 minutes with consultant

Postby MikeDCross » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:19 pm

I have very mixed views of the NHS - sometimes they are amazingly good and other times they are amazingly bad.

Today, was an amazingly bad day for the NHS.

My appointment was at 08:30, which could have been fine if they had opened the reception desk before 08:30, so it was a bit of a rush to find the room, and give my arrival slip to the nurse; I was told that there was on rush as the consultant had not arrived yet.

Being a social soul, I got talking to the lady in the chair next to me, only to find that she was also seeing my consultant at 08:30; this must have been a mistake. The nurse said "they have booked 5 patients into each 10 min slot for the entire morning", and unfortunately all 5 had arrived; so we were going to have to wait....a long time.

My consultant finally arrived and shuffled the list of patients to who she wanted to see first, I went from 1st to 4th.. I was late anyway, so it really didn't matter that much.

Finally it was my turn....she had reviewed my blood tests, everything was fine, she would see me in 6 months time, and she handed me a blood test form and I could leave.. oh that was not going to happen -- I wanted to know what my blood tests results where...all I got was "in normal range"... oh I hate "in normal range" - I will have to ask my GP for copy of the results, as she had no intention of giving me anything which involved time.

Is this normal for a 6 months review?

Having been given my "next booking" form, I was told that it would be 7-8 months, as she was already 5 x book for 6 months time. I think they need more consultants.
MikeDCross

Re: 7 minutes with consultant

Postby plum » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:21 pm

that's really not on is it?.
you might have had questions to ask....symptoms to discuss?
indeed - more endocrine consultants needed.
hope that you have better luck next time
plum
plum

Postby Carl » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:53 am

No, it certainly is not on.

That said, although I've never experienced it with my Endocrinologist, but I have with the Eye department in Portsmouth. Legions of people turn up for an 08:30 clinic, it might take an hour to go through some eye tests and be another 30 mins at least before you see the consultant. I think the sign in the department says allow 2 hours for your appointment. :(
Carl

Postby Jenny » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:50 am

Sorry you had such an awful appointment Mike. It sounds like many of my previous appointments to be honest. I have made myself become more proactive during my appointments now and ask for a copy of blood test results. Like you, I hate being told 'normal range' and I questioned this last time. Endo did take time to discuss but he still didn't really enlighten me to be honest. I keep a booklet with questions now and limit them to the 3 most important. My last appointment was finished by the endo saying that I could email him at any time, so I feel slightly more hopeful, as I explained to him that I feel more confident about dealing with my condition if I know some of the answers and can be assured of his support. It isn't good enough from your point of view and hopefully your GP will give you your results and maybe you can discuss with someone here.

Sorry to ramble on.

Jenny
Jenny

Postby MikeDCross » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:32 pm

Everyone, thanks for the feedback.

I need to talk to my GP next week to get the blood test results, and although he claims not to understand a lot, he is quite good.

I'm going to send my last 2 blood test results to my Osteo consultant, who was the person who told me to have my T levels checked; she is excellent and normally finds time for phone call quite quickly, and is very good at looking things up and coming back with info.

Mike
MikeDCross

Postby Pat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 am

Not sure if this happens in all areas but you can ask to be copied in to their letter to your GP, which will itemise your recent bloods following your appointment with endocrinologist. It can take several weeks to receive this.
Pat

Postby MikeDCross » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:02 pm

Pat - my consultant sometimes sends me a copy of her letters, and it can take up to 6 weeks; I'm not that patient ;-)
MikeDCross

Return to Hypopituitarism