glucogon test

glucogon test

Postby MikeDCross » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi

My consultant wants me to do a glucogon test; she did not explain what one is, why I would have one, or the benefit of having one.

Does anyone have experience with this test?

What is involved?

How long does it take

How much does it hurt -- I've not yet found a medical test which does not hurt ;-)

Thanks

Mike
Last edited by MikeDCross on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MikeDCross

Re: Glycogen test

Postby steve » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:14 pm

Hi Mike,
I have had a *glucogon* test, I've never heard of a glycogen test. There's a good explanation here:

http://www.gosh.nhs.uk/medical-informat ... cagon-test

As test's go it really wasn't too bad, half a day of lying in a hospital bed with an injection at the beginning.

Best of luck,
Steve
steve

Re: Glycogen test / glycogen test

Postby MikeDCross » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Steve

I'm not technical, it could well be a glycogen test.

Thanks for the link, which gave 100% more info than my consultant did.

1/2 a day laying about sounds quite relaxing if a tad boring, Not so keen on the needles, I just dislike needles; but I will be brave :-)

Mike
MikeDCross

Re: glucogon test

Postby MikeDCross » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm

today i had a glucogon test.

I was given a lifestyle questionnaire, which will be compared with the blood test results - the questions were a little strange and there the answer was YES or NO, there was no room for grey.

I was given a comfortable (for NHS) bed, a cannula was fitted in one arm, and an initial blood was taken; then they injected glucogon in my other arm and I was left for 90 mins to rest and read -- I had been given dire warnings to be prepared to vomit, feel ill or strange and I felt no ill effects of the injection. After 90 mins, they took bloods every 30 mins at 90,120,150; and it was done.

I have to wait 3-4 weeks for the results.

Overall, if any medical procedure can be pleasant, this was it.

M
MikeDCross

Postby plum » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:59 am

ooh interesting about the lifestyle questionnaire.
was this part of some inhouse research study i wonder?

i do think that there is a serious lack of such things. eg how does having a pituitary tumour affect daily living. a few hints and small comments but nothing serious enough.
I felt this was a serious lack when I was unable to function or to work until treatment effects kicked in about 2 years post diagnosis. there was insufficient information to be able to convince the DWP that I was not simply a scrounger.
plum

Postby MikeDCross » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:28 pm

Plum,

The lifestyle questionnaire was requested by the consultant; it seemed a very blunt tool, questions like "do you have problems planning things" possible answers Yes or No, with advice that if you are 51% yes, then its a YES. Apparently, they will use my score and the results of my blood tests to see if I get treatment.

Part of me is hoping that I get treatment, as it seems to offer a massive improvement in my daily existence; but another part of me is dreading the idea of daily injections..and me having to actually do the injection; I'm sure I will manage it, after a lot of squirming and deep breathing and closing my eyes and just going for it --- no, I'm not good with needles.

I have to say that I have been generally unhappy with the level of information and support I've received from my consultant, she seems to want to follow her plan and I'm just an inconvenience; anyone who knows me, knows that I have no issue being an inconvenience, I will research things and question everything; which is probably why I got the glucogon test.

Talking to the nurse, she said that everyone experiences it differently, and perhaps that is the problem - we all react differently, so it is hard to give advice.
MikeDCross

Postby Marc_U » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:44 pm

The Glucogon Test (looking at Steve's link), sounds like it is a variation of the Glucose Tolerance test, only that instead of 12-hour fast, then a very high glucose drink, you get an injection of glucogon, which get your body to produce (release) the excess glucose from the body's own energy stores.

I hope your test results come out okay.

Regards,
Marc
Marc_U

Postby steve » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Mike,
Was this the questionnaire? https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta64/d ... in-adults2

If that's the case then then the following will make useful reading https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ta64/d ... eficiency2

Like you, I was very apprehensive about injecting myself every day. If your treatment is similar to mine then it's not much to worry about. I very quickly got into the routine, the needles are tiny (5mm long and very thin) and the pen device easy to use with an optional needle shield so you don't have to even see the needle.

After the glucagon test, my next step was an arginine test ( http://www.christie.nhs.uk/media/2638/727.pdf ) which was a similar experience to the glucagon test.

I'm sorry that your consultant hasn't been more informative, your experience is the opposite of mine. I was given very clear information about each step in advance.

Keep asking the questions!

Best of luck, Steve
steve

Postby member_31784 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:14 pm

I fill in a life style questionnaire every time I have a Growth Hormone review, about once a year and the nurse logs results. Some of the questions are fairly similar and some you’d like to modify with “sometimes” but happy to do it.

The GH injections are nothing to worry about and soon becomes routine. I’m very used to them but forget other people aren’t, my daughter-in-law nearly fainted when I nonchalantly injected myself while she was next to me!

Hope all goes well.
member_31784

Postby MikeDCross » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Thanks - I think I will be injecting myself away from people for quite some time :-)
MikeDCross

Next

Return to Hypopituitarism