Emergency hydrocortisone

Emergency hydrocortisone

Postby pwoodger » Thu May 02, 2019 9:33 am

Having been at the conference last week it brought home the importance of carrying my emergency hydrocortisone injections with me especially when travelling. What do people use to protect the vials and keep them cool? I have heard of Frio products. Any other ideas out there?
Phil
pwoodger

Re: Emergency hydrocortisone

Postby Carl » Thu May 02, 2019 12:53 pm

I'm not sure you need to keep Hydrocortisone cool....? I have heard of the Frio products and they are highly rated, I know a couple of people with Type 1 Diabetes who keep their Insulin in them, and rate them.

I have two injection kits, one I keep in a plastic toothbrush holder, which I find quite convenient to slip into my work bag, jacket pocket, bumbag, or holdall if we are going away for a night or two. I also have a much tougher hard plastic container that I bought from the Addisons Disease website, like this https://www.addisonsdisease.org.uk/shop ... -kit-adult This is the kit I use to take away on more major holidays and is very robust, it came with a couple of retracting needle safety injection needles too.
Carl

Postby pwoodger » Thu May 02, 2019 5:19 pm

Many thanks Carl

The hydrocortisone needs to be kept under 25 degrees, so more of an issue of travelling to hot places or leaving in hot cars etc.

Cheers

Phil
pwoodger

Postby member_41389 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi Phil
There's no simple answer to this question otherwise places in the tropics without reliable power would have a real issue. I understand that the question is better put as "At what temperature was the medicine stored when the manufacturer demonstrated the shelf-life they claimed". I found this Wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_expiration helpful.
In practice hydrocortisone sodium succinate (powder) is likely to be more stable at raised temperature than hydrocortisone sodim phosphate (ready-mixed) since it has a longer shelf-life. If you go on a long trip to somewhere very hot my suggestion would be to not worry too much and then get new stuff prescribed when you get back - 5 doses 0f 100mg of either ran at less than £10 last time I checked.
All the bets
Tim
member_41389

Postby Pat » Fri May 03, 2019 8:05 am

Pat

Postby Pearshape » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:23 am

Not really an answer to the original question I know, but I use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1 in conjunction with the Addison's emergency kit mentioned above, to carry my meds around. Just the right size and padded - not sure it helps on the "keeping them cool" front of course.
Pearshape

Postby Pat » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:32 am

In summer Pit Life, which is coming out week of 17 June, a patient tells us about a bag he uses to keep meds cool.

Pat
Pat

Return to Hypopituitarism