Calling all Sheehan's Ladies

Calling all Sheehan's Ladies

Postby Delainne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:35 pm

Hello,
I was diagnosed with sheehan's when my 4th child was 18 months old.That was 2 years ago and I felt so relieved that I would finally start feeling well and back to normal.I'm still hoping that will happen but although I definately feel better than I did ,this is an ongoing process of replacement.
My biggest three problems are still;tired
fat
and forgetful
I would love to hear other peoples stories,the longer the better.
take care,Delainne.
Delainne

Re: Calling all Sheehan's Ladies

Postby karenc » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 pm

Hi,

I was diagonosed with Sheehan's last year after becoming very, very ill a week after the birth of my 2nd child. I just wondered if there were other people out there with the same thing?!! Can't believe no one else has posted on here since 2010!!

It' so difficult to know whether it's your condition that is making you feel so rubbish or just the general hecticness of having small children! reading other areas of this forum, however, is explaining a few of my feeings a bit more.

I'm hoping to start on the growth hormone soon as I am struggling to get through most days which is just completely heart breaking when you have two small children that you desperately want to be on top form for and to be able to play with (I hate myself some afternoons when I hope it rains so that we don't have to go running around the park again because I have no energy at all!!).

I think it's hard as well because, as my sister in law says, you don't look ill but inside you feel absolutely dreadful. I feel much better than I did this time last year but I'm still nowhere near 100% and I'm beginning to wonder from reading some posts on the forum if I ever will?!

I feel a bit robbed of the first few months of my babies life as I lost my short term memory for most of the first few weeks and I'm still a bit annoyed at being made to feel like a bad mother by my community midwives for not breastfeeding (it shocked me how ignorant a lot of the midwives were about the condition - though it still amuses me that the midwives on the postnatal ward had to wikipedia the condition!!)

I keep being told that the condition is quite rare but there seems to have been a lot of people reading the original post on here but no one replying so come on everyone please tell me and Delainne that we are not alone!!!
karenc

Postby Danny » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi,

I dont qualify for this topic as i am a 35 yr old man who is hypopit but when i read your post Karen about wondering if you will ever get back to being 100% again because of what you have read on here it concerned me a bit. I had surgery in Sept 08 to remove a pit tumour, pre surgery i wasnt a well man at all with low cortisol levels which got that bad i was sleeping 14 hours a day and struggling to stand up and move around, post surgery my cortisol levels sorted themselves out but my GH levels plummeted so i started GH treatment in Dec 08 which after a short period of time transformed my life , my endo also had to level out my testosterone, thyroid and prolactin levels but once we got everything on a level i was back running around like a nutter with the kids, even went zip lining across the Mexican jungle (thought i deserved a good hol after what i went through) and Sunday just gone i managed to do the Yorkshire 3 peaks walk in 11 hours and 5 mins and raise some money for the Pit Foundation.

I guess what i am trying to say is dont get despondent because believe me you will be back on feet and will if like me see life in a different way and appreciate things in life a bit more and make the most of them. Got 3 young kids myself and now exactly where you are coming from and its not nice not having the get up and go you need but it will get better/easier.

If your waiting for GH treatment do yourself a favour dont wait, push, push, push ring the clinic most days even make contact with the suppliers which in my case is Bupa, make a nuisance of yourself but in a friendly way - its the only way to get things sorted in a reasonable timescale, i ended up coordinating most of it myself to get things moving.

Hope some more Sheehans Ladies post on here so people like me stop gate crashing :D

Danny.
Danny

Postby karenc » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks Danny.

It is really good to hear from someone who does feel a lot better! I'm usually a really positive person which hasn't really helped me out in this situation, as I tend to try to put a brave face on! But I just can't do that any longer! You're absolutely right, I will keep pushing to get started on GH; it's my GP that seemingly is slowing things down- another phone call tomorrow me thinks!!!

Thanks again, I really do appreciate your positiveness!
Karen :-)
karenc

Postby Danny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:31 pm

No worries Karen, us Yorkshire folk have to stick together :D

Give your GP hell! I ended up making an appointment to see mine to discuss face to face the delay they were causing and the implications it had on my quality of life and my families! I really was a pain in the back side but it got results and sped things up.

Keep your chin up lass ;)

Danny.
Danny

Postby Jenn K » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:01 pm

Hello,

Noticed this discussion has been inactive for a long time now, so hoping you both see this!

I gave birth to my son (first baby) at the end of April this year. I was initially treated for a tear and blood loss. A week after going home I was admitted urgently to hospital with pituitary dysfunction and hyponatraemia. I don't yet have a formal diagnosis as I'm waiting for a second MRI scan but the doctors currently think the hypopituitarism is linked to my blood loss following delivery. We're just waiting to see if my second scan shows any damage or growth in there. In the meantime I'm keeping taking my hydrocortisone and thyroxine...

Hope you're both getting on OK.

Anyone else in a similar place please do get in touch!

Best wishes,

Jenn
Jenn K

Postby Pat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:02 am

We have a lady contacted us with Sheehan's who would love to talk to others with this condition
She has given me her number, if any of you are willing, can you email me pat@pituitary.org.uk and I can put you in touch.

Many thanks

Pat
Pat

Return to Sheehan's Syndrome