venesection in hertfordshire.

venesection in hertfordshire.

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:49 am

Hi,

My consultant has decided my that hemoglobin and hematocrit are too high and I need to start venesection. but has given no information on what this means in real life. Leaving me with questions:
- How has to arrange this, you or my GP?
- How often will they take blood?
- How much blood will they take?
- Are there things I cannot do before an appointment (weight train, swim etc)
- Are there things I cannot do after an appointment (weight train, swim etc)
- How long does an appointment take?
- Where do appointments take place?

I'm used to giving blood, and that does not seem to be a problem, but that is every 12+ weeks; I am assuming that this will happen far more often.

If you have experienced venesection, please share your experiences?

Thanks

Mike
MikeDCross

Re: venesection in hertfordshire.

Postby member_41389 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi Mike
Hopefully the attached https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/polycythaemia/documents/venesection%20NHS%20leaflet.pdf will be of some use as background.
If you are on Testosterone replacement they will normally ask you to stop that as well.
From what I've seen you would normally go to the hospital day case unit, just as for the OGTT or SST.
Unfortunately Herts doesn't seem to be too keen on admitting what the procedure is in their area.
All the best
Tim
member_41389

Postby member_44913 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:11 pm

I have had this done for the same reasons

It was a half litre every two weeks

It is usually caused by the testosterone

What are you numbers .... and NHS limits for your local NHS PCT?
member_44913

Postby DerryAcro » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:35 pm

hi mike sounds like you may have HAEMOCHROMATOSIS

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/haemochromatosis/causes/

this is normally a genetic fault you would need to be tested for this . I myself suffer from this and had to have a unit of blood taken every fornight untill levels were down to acceptable level. I have not needed treatment for at least three years now. I watch my diet and keep away from Iron rich foods and food fortified with iron.
I am on testosterone injections long before this was discovered and never had to stop them both docs, said it had no impact on the condition.
you may also continue life as before no need to stop activieties just rest about an hour after each venesection and you will be ok.
my GP was able to arrange all this for me. oh if you do have haemochromatosis avoid shell fish like the plague they can be very dangerous

hope this helps
DerryAcro

Postby MikeDCross » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:59 am

Tim

thanks, I've searched high and low and Herts does not appear to have published any information.

member_44913
1/2L every two weeks does not sound that bad, just inconvenient
Numbers - hemoglobin 177g/l, range 130-169 / hematocrit 0.54, range 0.36 to 0.48
we stopped T for 2 months my T dropped off the scale, and hemoglobin and hematocrit continued to increase.

DerryAcro
Thanks for the info
I do not eat seafood of any type, I'm safe :-)

Had another talk with my consultant
- we have reduced my T dose, and I need to stay on this dose for 3 months, before new blood tests (RBCs last 3 months, so it will take 3 months to see if the reduced dose will have the desired effect); and if hemoglobin and hematocrit continued to be elevated, we will arrange for venesection.

Thanks

MIke
MikeDCross

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions