Brain Injury and onset of problems after many years

Brain Injury and onset of problems after many years

Postby Mgh » Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:17 pm

I am asking this on behalf of a friend's son. Does anyone have experience the onset of problems with pituitary function many years after a severe brain injury or of the process for investigating such a possibility?
I have read the item on the website about "Pituitary Dysfunction in Traumatic Brain Injury". If someone suspects there may be such a problem and approaches their GP, how can they make sure that they get a referral to an appropriate consultant especially if their GP is unsure of who to refer to or what steps to take?
As someone who had a very poor endo experience at the start of my pituitary journey, I realise how important it is to see an end with the appropriate medical knowledge and expertise.
I look forward to hearing of any suggestions that may help.
Maria
Mgh

Re: Brain Injury and onset of problems after many years

Postby member_41389 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:49 pm

Hi Maria
A suggestion for a starting place https://www.pituitary.org.uk/catalog/free-fact-sheets/traumatic-brain-injury-and-hypopituitarism/c-23/c-116/p-315.
I think I would suggest a request for a referral to a neurologist - my diagnosis for AI was as a result of being referred to the stroke team and they seemed quite alive to the implications of hypopituitarism whereas the first endo I saw tried to prove I was AI as a result of steroid use (and was basically uninclined to be helpful).
Take care of yourself and stay as well as possible.
Tim
member_41389

Re: Brain Injury and onset of problems after many years

Postby Mgh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:41 pm

Hi Tim
Thank you for your helpful reply. I will pass on your comment about seeing a neurologist as a first port of call. Having an awareness of the possible pituitary involvement will help focus minds. His presenting symptoms could indicate possible lack of ACTH and GH.
Must catch up by email soon. I hope you are doing ok.
Maria
Mgh

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions