Why do i keep feeling panicked?

Why do i keep feeling panicked?

Postby member_40599 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:37 pm

Hello,
Since having my surgery for pituitary adenoma in Feb 2013 I often feel very panicky in everyday situations i.e. shopping
and sometimes at home too. When I have mentioned this to my GP and Consultant they just dismiss it as "all part of the problem"
I often feel unsettled in the mornings which I can only liken to migraine but without the headache......, nauseous with shimmering in my eyes.
Has anyone else experienced the same please? and if so what did you do to combat this? . Thank you in advance.

Susan x
member_40599

Re: Why do i keep feeling panicked?

Postby Carl » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:15 pm

I had my pituitary adenoma removed last May. I used to get the occasional panic attack BEFORE surgery, but thankfully not since. Have you had all your hormones sorted out yet?
Carl

Postby member_40599 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks for replying Carl,
Every time I go to GP or Endo. Consultant they change my medication around .Its like they don't know what to do for me. They say avoid stress
but most of my stress comes from them !You would think a year on I would feel better by now . p' off really . But wont let it beat me...
Thanks again
Susan x
member_40599

Postby member_38167 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:39 pm

Susan, I know exactly what you mean about most of the stress coming from the doctors/medical stuff! Couple of thoughts: have you tried keeping a diary of how you feel each day to try and find a pattern? If nothing else, I think this signals to doctors that this is something real that needs to be treated seriously - they like data! Also, have you thought about trying counselling? I'm not at all suggesting that this might not be a physical problem very possibly related to hormone levels, but I very reluctantly had a short series of counseling sessions last year after my hubby became concerned about my recurring stress, and although I found it a difficult process, I do think that it was cathartic and she gave me some very practical tips for how to manage when I could feel my stress level start to rise. The trick seemed to be to catch my thoughts before everything spiralled out of control. If nothing else, I found it a relief to just tell the whole sorry story of my diagnosis and treatment in one fell swoop, with no need to edit out anything to spare their feelings! I got through lots of tissues but it did help.
member_38167

Postby Pat » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:44 pm

The impact of diagnosis, your surgery and revisiting hospital for tests can be stressful. I'm sure I speak for a number of us, in saying that we felt 'safe' whilst in hospital post surgery; once you come home, which isn't long for you, you can feel panicky and anxious. Our booklet called Psycholgical Impact of Diagnosis and surgery could be really helpful - if you visit the shop on the website, you can order a copy or download free.
Please do get in touch with us and we'll help.

take care

Pat
Pat

Postby member_40599 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:27 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied to me ,Yes I have tried counselling but the Lady I saw said she "could identify well with me , as she had her appendics out 20 years ago" ??????????????????
she was not at all interested in my situation and said she didn't need to see me again, but she would be happy to say prayers for me...................not my scene at all.
I have the booklet you mentioned Pat and found it helpful, I would have been good to get some of this info while I was in hospital or shortly after but nothing was given to me ,
I have learned more since becoming a foundation member, As it is now over a year now since my surgery I did hope to feel better by now.
Thanks again , Susan x
member_40599

Postby plum » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:29 pm

hi Susan

That 'counsellor' sounds quite incredible...... and a tad unprofessional to boot.....
Honestly, you couldn't make it up, could you?

If you are not put off the whole thing entirely, then how about your local Macmillan Cancer Support. I'm having counselling with them and they DO know what they are talking about. The hospital may have a Macmillan 'office' or 'information centre' where you can find out if they are providing counselling services as well.

Good luck

Plum
plum

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions