Silent corticotroph adenoma

Silent corticotroph adenoma

Postby Jane62 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi everyone
I was just reading through my histo report and noticed that my tumour had the name as given in the subject box.
Has anyone else had this kind of adenoma? If so did it grow back after surgery and how quick?
I was told mine would regrow but very slowly and most probably would not ever bother me.
Thanks
Jane62

Re: Silent corticotroph adenoma

Postby Pat » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:48 am

Hi Jane

I can ask our medical committee for you next week if you want?

Pat
Pat

Postby Jane62 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Hi Pat
That would be great. Thank you very much. Have a lovely Easter.
Jane
Jane62

Postby Pat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:47 am

Hi Jane, two of our medical committee members replied that they do know of these and they see them in their endocrine/surgical clinic.
There may be no evidence of cortisol excess preoperatively but tumour stains for ACTH. They believe this type may well grow a little faster than others; they have had some cases that re-present at a later date with Cushing’s disease. Of course this could mean they never really were ‘silent’.
In the range of benign pituitary adenomas, these are at the ''more likely to come back'' end of the spectrum. They watch these closely for early recurrence, with a low threshold for offering radiotherapy. However, some of these behave completely lazily.

They ask "Is there any tumour left after your surgery?"

If you know this, I will reply to them and let you know

many thanks - Pat
Pat

Postby Jane62 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:21 am

Hi Pat
Thank you for your reply.

Well I am somewhat confused? When I went for my post op follow up with my neurosurgeon he seemed to think he had successfully removed all the tumour.
When I went to visit my endo consultant, after I had had a post op scan and the blood test which involved injecting insulin he said that there was still tumour remaining by the left carotid artery. I am seeing him again at the end of July.
I have been getting some really bad headaches again, but I am am just assuming it's still early days after the operation (November 14) .
i also had a vision test last Saturday which showed my right eye is back to where it was before all this, but my left eye has been keft a little weaker.
I do have a copy of the histo report, which I was given for my file.
Thank you for your help
Regards
Jane
Jane62

Postby Pat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi Jane

Medical committee suggest that endo & surgeon should discuss with a proper neuro radiologist at a pituitary MDT (multi disciplinary team) to clarify

Hope this helps

thanks
Pat

Postby Jane62 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Hi Pat
I wll have a chat with my endo at next appt.
Many thanks
Jane
Jane62

Postby plum » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:27 am

Hi jane

i don't have the same type of tumour but noticed that there was a confusion between what the neurosurgeon and the endocrinologist told you about whether or not all the tumour had been removed. i had exactly the same thing! neuro said yes we took it all out and endo showed me something called a 'remnant' poking into left cavernous sinus.

all i can think of is that neuro definition of yes it is all out meant that yes it was all removed from pituitary fossa.
while endo is having to deal with the 'remnant' which in my case remains active and fully functioning. (so what did surgery achieve??? - ok - a less squashed pituitary....)

this is one of the very many examples i have noticed - having to listen very carefully to the language that they are using and check that we are all understanding in the same way!!!

best wishes

plum
plum

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions