New Member saying Hello

Re: New Member saying Hello

Postby steve » Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:58 pm

I've read that reduced levels of Growth Hormone slow down healing.
Regards, Steve
steve

Postby MikeDCross » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:29 pm

Steve/Carl.

Spoke to my GP, and explained about poor sleep, poor healing and increased fat on my stomach (I eat a healthy diet, I try and exercise daily) and the fat is still increasing - this is just not fair ;-).. She said that it does seem that the injection has run out, but there is little she can do at this stage, so we are relying on the blood tests to show something, and then the consultant to advise on next steps. She did say that the 12 weeks / injections generally seems over optimistic and most of her patients have their injections every 10 weeks; or opt to move to daily gel. I remember my consultant being very clear the book says 12 weeks and that is all she will offer, then she softened her message to on rare occasions she would agree to 10 weeks, but something about risking thickened blood..dont really remember the details without digging out my notes.

When I was diagnosed I thought that the daily gel seemed like a better approach, but my consultant was very keen on injections, and I didnt know enough to argue. Now I know that they are not lasting more than 8 weeks, I may ask to go onto daily gel.. I understand that some people experience skin problems with the gel, are there any other problems to be considered?

As I have to have the injection before seeing the consultant, I expect that a change to gel would have to wait 12 weeks from date of injections or from when it appear to have run out. Does that sound correct?

If I do not get on with Gel, then I assume I can go back to the injections within days of stopping the gels - Does that sound correct?

Thanks
MikeDCross

Postby Carl » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Yes I believe there can be a worry of thickened blood if Testo levels are too high, although it doesn't sound like yours is likely to be. You need to get a full blood count done at some point to check hematocrit levels, I think. They worry about pulmonary embolism and DVT with thickened blood.

I didn't have any gap between switching from gel to injection, it is all Testo at the end of the day just delivered in a different form. But I guess only the doctor would be able to know for sure.

As I said I'm 100% sure gel delivered a more stable measured dose, and I'd probably still be on it if my skin hadn't reacted. I wouldn't rule out going back to it one day.
Carl

Postby MikeDCross » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:15 am

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the comments.

Well Injection was on Tuesday and it was painless, until Thursday when I could point the to exact point where the injection went in...

After my last injection things felt better within a couple of days; this time I've not seen any great improvements, in fact I feel very tired and ache, but that could just be fighting off the latest office bug

Blood tests (a very very long list) is booked for the Tuesday after next, and then I see the consultant 3 weeks after the blood tests; so hopefully I'll get things explained to be then. This will be the last time I see the consultant under my company health care (if I had gone NHS, I'd still be waiting for my 1st appointment :-( ), so I will have to see about long term care and also about changing to the gel...I want to give it a try, even if I do go back to injections after a while

Thanks for the support
MikeDCross

Postby Carl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:48 am

Good luck. I had an armful of blood taken yesterday before my next scheduled Endo appointment next month. I'm not expecting any nasty surprises, but there's always that concern in the back of your mind.

Ironically my last Testo injection turned out to be really painful, not the initial injection, but the following few days. The site got quite swollen and really tender - I guess the nurse just hit the 'wrong' point. All fine now though.
Carl

Postby MikeDCross » Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:33 pm

Hi Carl,

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who gets injected in the "wrong place" ;-)

So it was week 2 on Tuesday, and I can see no improvement, which is very disappointing, I had really hoped for an improvement of some type.... I mentioned my T injection to a friend of the family, to find out that his brother is also on T injections, but way to embarrassed to tell anyone. True I do not go around discussing my medical problems in public (except here ;-)), but I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of, it is not like we are taking it illegally. Anyway, I digress, he said injections last different times for him, and if the last injection ended early, the next one is far less effective -- which I think makes sense, but we could be talking total rubbish.

My blood taking was on Tuesday and confused me, the consultant was very clear, I had to have blood taken at 09:00am, as the lab would be open, and it would need to get to the lab quickly [ this ties in with my last blood tests,where they took the 1st tube full and it was walked to the lab, while the rest was being taken ]; this time, I was having my blood taken by the NHS, and I was told any time between 9 and 10am was good enough. The list of things being tested covered two NHS blood test forms, which was a little unnerving; and the lady taking blood had to check my list against and list of samples types on the wall, and phoned a friend and came back and said that they could take the blood, although they had no lab, it only being the city hospital, so my blood was taken, put in a box which would be collected within 4 hours, driven around the country side as the driver collected blood from other places and then taken to the lab. On one hand I believe in trusting the experts, but that does not match what my consultant wanted to see... so now I have a concern...

They said that the results for the common tests would be with my GP within a week, the more exotic ones would take a second week....which is still OK, as it gives me a week to collect before seeing the consultant.

Another update next week,
MikeDCross

Postby MikeDCross » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:47 pm

Blood tests part 1 - today, got my 1st set of blood tests from the GPs, everything is well within the normal range, which is really good news; rest of the results should be ready for collection next friday; just in time to see the consultant.
MikeDCross

Postby MikeDCross » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:27 pm

Trying to compare blood tests between hospitals is so much fun, I have 3 sets of blood test results, each processed by different labs, so everything has different ranges of normal. I ended up converting everything to 1 scale for the 63 different testes, how they got to 63 blood tests being required I have no idea, but it does explain that mass of blood they take.

Results:
- most are the virtually same been Jun-2015, Aug-2016 and Feb-2016 - which i'm taking as a good thing.

I have drops in:
    Cortisol
    Full Blood - MCH
    Full Blood - MCV
    Full Blood - platelets
    WBC Differential - eosinophils
they are about 10% lower over the Jun-15 to Feb-16, no idea if that is good or bad, will pose the question to the consultant in 2 weeks.

I have increases:
    SHBG went from 23 below normal, to 6 above lowest in normal range
    T went from 20 below normal to 12 above lowest in normal range.
To me these still seem lower than I would like to see.

Given that the blood was taken 2 weeks after my last T injection, I can only assume that these level have dropped week on week, which is not encouraging.

Oh well, lots to talk to the consultant about....
MikeDCross

Postby Carl » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:11 am

63 flippin' blood tests, crikey! Thorough I suppose....

One good thing about my Endo is that although he does look at my blood tests ("the numbers" as he calls them) he talks through how I'm feeling in a lot of detail. In his view "the numbers" are irrelevant if that does not correlate with how I'm feeling. So if I tell him I'm feeling rubbish, he will take that as a cue to look in more detail. Quite a good way to look at it really.

One thing he does want to do for me is test my PSA levels (prostate), I've seen conflicting information about whether low or high T has an effect on potential Prostate risks, but either way he wants to make sure that now I've been on replacement for 2 years nothing has changed. Probably my risks aren't much different to anyone else of my age (mid 50's)
Carl

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:32 pm

Carl,

I'd hope my consultant takes an equally enlightened view, I'll see next Tuesday ;-)

My PSA figures have not changed over the last 3 blood tests covering 12 months and my GP said that everything was fine; he did offer the option is digital examine, when he explained that it involved his finger in unmentionable places, I declined the offer ;-)

My consultant was very clear, she would not prescribe injections less than 10 week apart, as that is the shortest delay referenced by the manufactures web page. Given that my 1st injection did nothing, the 2nd injection at 6 weeks, worked well for 6 weeks and then faded really quickly; not even happy with 10 week injections; so unless she is very convincing I may opt for go to gel.

Thanks
MikeDCross

PreviousNext

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions