New Member saying Hello

Re: New Member saying Hello

Postby Carl » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:41 am

Absolutely, gotta keep on pushing if you know you aren't feeling right - its the only way to move forward. It must surely either be your body doesn't absorb the T in the injectable form very well (or it absorbs it way too well and burns through it quickly), or there is something else wrong that hasn't been put right yet.
Carl

Postby MikeDCross » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi,

Had a really good appointment with my consultant, she reviewed all the blood tests and everything was perfectly fine; which is really good news. There had been a screw up between the private hospital blood forms and the NHS translation which meant they didnt test my LH/FSH, easily corrected by yet another blood test.

I've always had fasting blood tests, but she says that is no longer necessary, which is really nice, as I miss my breakfast ;-)

My T levels 2 weeks after the injection were "considerably lower" that she would have like to see; so I've been moved from 14 to 8 week injections to see if that makes things better.

So the plan is,
- blood tests to cover the missing tests (day before injection)
- injection
- 4 week wait
- blood tests
- 4 week wait
- blood tests
- injection (day before injection)
and she will advice in changing the frequency of injections if necessary and if the injections are not working out may try gel.

Overall, a good outcome.
MikeDCross

Postby Carl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 am

excellent, good to have a plan that finally makes sense. Gives you something to aim at :)
Carl

Postby MikeDCross » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:05 pm

So the new plan is injections every 8 weeks, with blood tests every 4 weeks (taken before the injection, on injection days).

So, last Tuesday was 1st blood test, and then injection; I was not expecting the results to be exciting, I could not have been more wrong.

Things which are low....
FSH- so low they could not measure (range 1.40-18.10)
LH - so low they could not measure (range 1.50 - 9.30)
T - 6.9 (range 8.40-28.70)

Given that these injections are *supposed* to last 14 weeks, and they are clearly not managing 8 weeks - this cannot be good.

Things which are to high
RBC - 5.6 (range 3.90-5.40)
Haemogoblin 176 (range 130-159)
Haematocrit 0.52 (range 0.36 - 0.48).

None of these look good to the untrained eye.

And today is day 6 after the injection, and I'm still waiting to see a change.

Have been called to the doctors on Tuesday for a discussion, which I think will revolve about the fact that the injections are not working well.
MikeDCross

Postby Carl » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:57 pm

Well, despite seeing blood tests in a range you wish they weren't, at least you have a firm plan to measure-inject-measure-inject, which has to be a good thing?

Certainly it seems odd that despite having the injections it seems to be having little effect on the LH and FSH - maybe you and injectable T just don't get on?
Carl

Postby MikeDCross » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:29 pm

Spoke to my GP today,

he says that if Haemogoblin & Haematocrit increase a little more, they will need to start taking blood to reduce the levels... and I need to talk to my consultant for advice. As for FSH/LH/T, he is concerned that the injections are not working, again I have to talk to my consultant.

And, he recommends not having the next injection, until we get guidance from the consultant -- writing the letter now.
MikeDCross

Postby MikeDCross » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:32 am

The NHS is either a fantastic thing or a living breathing disaster, and I got the later.

I hand delivered a letter to my consultant, and my GP posted his letter to my consultant to the same hospital - both arrived on Wednesday before Easter; they we delivered to the desk of the secretary of my consultant that day. Alas the secretary had left the week before, so there was no one their to process the post; so my consultant who was working at the other hospital didnt get to see the letters.

Last week, I started to call for an update, and got the answering machine, where I left messages; I now know that the desk was unmanned, so the messages have not been listened to. I found an email address for the secretary, and sent mail -- yes, I now know that she is no longer employed so the mail will go unread.

On Friday, I eventually called PALS who were excellent, and within 5 hours I was talking to my consultants secretary at the other hospital, who explained the sorry story of the departure of the other secretary and how for 3 weeks post, emails and phone calls have gone unanswered.... I did say, living breathing disaster.

Of course by the time I talked to the secretary my consultant had left for the day, so I have to wait for Monday, and she will fit a call to me in between other patients.
MikeDCross

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:43 pm

Spoke to consultant, who is very good.

Stopping injections with immediate effect.

Going to use next 2 blood tests to show that RBC has returned to normal levels, and have to accept that T levels will drop through the floor. When things are back to normal we can look at using other forms of T preparations to see if they work better.

And I'm allowed to go back to exercise, but at a reduced level until my blood tests show that RBC has returned to normal levels. This will be a vast improvement, I been limited to pilates, which I hate with a passion, but have to do,so I do.

She is also going to move my appointment it from Jul to May, to match my last planned blood tests.

Probably the best outcome possible.
MikeDCross

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:06 pm

That's a bloomin' nuisance....but good that it has been picked up as overly high Haemogoblin & Haematocrit levels are not good.

Hope you get sorted soon.

ps. I quite like Pilates, I spend my life sat at a desk, so I find Pilates has got me a lot more flexible and better posture than I was, having been hunched over a laptop for too many hours.
Carl

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Carl,

I spend hours sitting in front of a laptop, so I try and do 60-90 min of exercise a day, and I always work to get better in some regard.

I spent 15 years doing Yoga twice a week, progressing to the teaching course; and enjoyed the control needed to achieve the postures; but there were thousands of postures to work on; I also had a great teacher and a good group of people in the class.

I have a tendency to break joints, and I always get sent to pilates, and I don't like being sent anywhere.... I was sent to group classes, and got discouraged as they aimed at the low end of the class, and never gave things to push me; so I moved to 1:1 pilates, which is great, I get pushed to breaking and then we step back a little bit and that is my base line for improvement.I normally have a 30-40 min pilates program which I did 2 maybe 3 times a week; for the last 4 weeks it has been daily -- I'm bored stiff it with.

Thursday, my physio will have to create me a new program, which again, takes me to breaking point and steps back just a little. And I can return to 2 or 3 a week, which will make it more than bearable; especially as I can mix it with spinning, swimming and weight training....
MikeDCross

PreviousNext

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions