NHS prescriptions free

NHS prescriptions free

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:58 am

Hi,

My current NHS prescription prepayment Certificate is about to expire, and I was looking at the NHS web page which says,

You can get all your NHS prescriptions free if you have a valid medical exemption certificate because you have:

a permanent fistula (for example, caecostomy, colostomy, laryngos-tomy or ileostomy) which needs continuous surgical dressing or an appliance;
    a form of hypoadrenalism (for example, Addison’s Disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential;
    diabetes insipidus and other forms of hypopituitarism;
    diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone;
    hypoparathyroidism;
    myasthenia gravis;
    myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism which needs thyroid hormone replacement);
    epilepsy which needs continuous anticonvulsive therapy;
    a continuing physical disability which means you cannot go out without the help of another person; or
    cancer and are undergoing treatment for:
    - cancer;
    - the effects of cancer; or,
    - the effects of cancer treatment

As my consultant has shown that I have a non working pituitary, does that mean I'm covered by the exemption?
MikeDCross

Re: NHS prescriptions free

Postby Pat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:14 am

Hi
if you need to take hydrocortisone, thyroxin or desmopressin, you are exempt and eligible for free prescriptions

hope that's helpful
Pat
Pat

Postby MikeDCross » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:25 am

Pat,

Thanks for the clarification, so it is more about the treatment that you need rather than the condition itself, so having to take T because my pituitary has stopped generating LH/FSH does not count?

Thanks
MikeDCross

Postby Pat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:11 pm

if you mean testosterone, this isn't unfortunately covered in exemptions but thyroxin is.
It does mean about the certain replacing hormones.
Pat

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions