which blood tests

which blood tests

Postby MikeDCross » Sat May 21, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi,

I've been reviewing my blood test results for the last 2 years, and I was wondering why they keep changing what they are monitoring, and why they have never tested some hormone levels at all:

Adrenocorticotrophic hormone (ACTH) -- never checked
Thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) - checked most times
Luteinising hormone (LH) - checked most times
Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) - checked most times
Prolactin (PRL) - checked most times
Growth hormone (GH) - never checked
Melanocyte-stimulating hormone (MSH) - checked most times
oxtocin - - checked most times

Are there reasons to only test some things, or should they all be tested to give an overall picture of pituitary health?
MikeDCross

Re: which blood tests

Postby MikeDCross » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:31 pm

I saw my consultant today, she was unclear why I rarely had the same blood tests, and has promised to write to my GP with a set list, so I get the same tests every time, she did not volunteer the list during the appointment, I have to wait up to 6 weeks for the letter, which is fine I have no blood tests scheduled for over 6 weeks..
MikeDCross

Re: which blood tests

Postby buddyboy » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:31 am

Hi 42045,
I guess the required tests will depend upon the nature of your particular condition and your sex. I am not sure why the tests should vary, but having an agreed set makes sense. I am male, 64 years, and have Hypopituitarism, and have problems with testosterone, thyroxine, growth hormone and cortisol levels, and take the relevant replacement therapy. So the tests I have (which seem to sometimes vary like you, depending upon GP, or one of many endo's I've seen) are focused on (and normally include):
Testosterone (not FSH as that is not functioning in my case)
Free Thyroxine FT4 (other thyroxine measures are not useful guides)
IGF1 Growth Hormone
Cortisol ACTH (although this of course is not a good guide because levels depend upon the time of day and you general state at that time. More complex tests are needed to measure your adrenal response properly)
The blood tests also cover many other general measures, but the above are the key ones I keep an eye on.
buddyboy

Return to Other Pituitary Conditions