Cortisol day curve

Cortisol day curve

Postby ratkinson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:56 pm

I am due to have a cortisol day curve(I have been on replacement for the past 13 yrs), the letter says nothing about stopping hrt 6 wks before the test(which it says in all the protocols I have read) only not to take hydrocortisone on the day. Has anyone else had experiance of this ? From what I have read Estrogen leads to elevations in measured serum cortisol due to some binding effect. Thanks
Rachel
ratkinson

Re: Cortisol day curve

Postby member_31784 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:12 pm

Hi

I wasn't askto stop hrt before my day curve, just no cortisol on morning of test until after first bloods. Good luck
member_31784

Postby Mgh » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:40 pm

My experience is similar. I was not asked to stop HRT prior to day curve test just told not to take first hydrocortisone of the day until after first blood was taken. It would be interesting to compare different experiences of the test. My local hospital was perplexed when I turned up at 7.30 a.m. for the test but all went relatively smoothly once I explained the reason for the test and the procedure for the day although they did have to hunt around to find someone to do the last blood test of the day! As a matter of interest, where did you find the protocol for the test? It would be interesting to know also if people are usually given their actual results and references ranges.
Hope your day test goes well or has gone well.
Mgh

Postby ratkinson » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Hi,I just googled cortisol day curve. The Christie,Manchester, Norfolk and Norwich hosp ( endobible),endocrine surgeon.co.uk, Addison soc website etc, etc,all have on line details. All of the ones I read said to stop 6 wks before to the test.
I phoned up the ward I am going to , to check and the nurse said that she'd never heard of it having to be stopped.
I am not unduly bothered as I know the day curve is not particularly reliable and they may go on the shape of the curve rather than the actuall numerical values. I am thinking my levels are a bit high at the moment as I am always wanting to eat and having to do loads of exercise to keep the weight off. Maybe it is more important for the initial diagnosis of Cushings rather than management of it.
I have been on hydrocortisone for 14 + yrs now since I had my pit gland removed(Cushings).we have moved a lot so have visited 6! Different endocrine units and they all do things differently. Years ago I had a day curve that was just what it said, a whole 12 hrs , the worst was 5hrs long as the nurse was late in and wanted to get away early so she shortened all the times! There seems to be much argument about the merit of the test. I am more concerned about not being able to take my early morning dose until I get in to the hosp(40 mins on train then 10 min brisk walk)-think I may feel a bit rubbish later in the day, luckily I should just be able to sit around and read a book!
ratkinson

Return to Procedures