donating blood

donating blood

Postby plum » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Hi
Can anyone clarify for me please whether or not we can donate blood?
And if so then how to go about it?
Elsewhere on the Pituitary Foundation website I read that it is possible and they even helpfully give the telephone number.
However the blood donor people told me that so long as I am still having follow up appointments at the hospital they cannot accept my blood. This last was from a nurse advisor, ie not someone just reading off the list of options.
Well, surely we are all subject to follow up appointments aren't we?
So does that mean we cannot give blood?
Am confused.
Plum
plum

Re: donating blood

Postby member_41389 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:44 pm

Hi Plum

I can't provide a general answer but have some relevant experience.

I was a platelet donor (regular donor 50+ donations) and was taken ill during a session when a session lasted a bit longer than normal. I had a trip to A&E by ambulance and eventual diagnosis with Secondary Adrenal Insufficiency. In the process I had several phone calls from a Consultant (i.e. Senior Doctor) at the Blood & Transplant Office in Bristol, His message was direct - thanks for your past donations your name has been removed from the platelet donation register and please don't try to give whole blood either. You were lucky to have been at a proper donation centre when things went pear-shaped so don't push your luck.

I think that basically whether you can donate or not boils down to; firstly, are you at risk if you donate (so for adrenal insufficiency you are); secondly, are the consequences of the effect of your pituitary condition (i.e. hormone excess or paucity) safe to give in a recipient sufficiently ill to need blood; and, thirdly, are you stable on medications which pose no risk to a potential recipient of your blood. The view seems to be that if you need regular monitoring by a consultant then you aren't stable enough.

Hopefully someone else has had experience of successfully making donations.

Regards

Tim
member_41389

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:37 am

Thanks for your helpful comments of your experiences; I will make sure we have confirmed information on this and for all pituitary hormone replacements to publish in the near future.

best wishes
Pat

Postby plum » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks Tim
makes a lot of sense.
Sounds as though you went through a scary time..
hope you are feeling OK now.
Plum
plum

Postby member_41389 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:21 pm

Hi Plum
The real problem was that the diagnosis of adrenal insufficiencey took about three weeks after I was discharged - initial diagnosis was that I had a vaso-vagal episode which resolved over three days in hospital. It was only because a neurologist, part of the Stroke team, was sufficiently interested to press for a cortisol level check that the diagnosis changed.
Since then I have had a further hospital admission for no identified reason - again the stroke/dementia checks got done. It was about three months after that discharge before someone realised that the IGF-1 tests which were done a year ago hadn't had any results reported. As a consequence the tests were repeated and, following an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test, a diagnosis of Acromegaly has been added.
I'm currently waiting for an appointment for a colonoscopy before the neurosurgeon will remove my adenoma.
The message seems to be that with so few patients in the UK even most endocrinologists see too few patients to have as good a grasp of the issues as we would like.

Regards
Tim
member_41389

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:58 pm

We have now had confirmation from the NHSBT (blood transfusion service) that those patients with adrenal insufficiency, taking steroids (hydrocortisone and prednisolone) cannot give blood.
There was no reason given so I only think it could be to do with possible prevention of adrenal issues/crisis.
There will be a fact sheet out shortly for all hormone replacements and medications patients take, if they are allowed to donate or not. This will be on our website late next week.

Pat
Pat

Postby plum » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:32 pm

thanks!
plum

Postby Pat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:19 pm

I can confirm that the 'Donating Blood' fact sheet is completed. It will be on our website next week but if you'd like a copy, please email me
pat@pituitary.org.uk and I'll send this back to you.
The sheet covers the majority of medications/replacement hormones

Many thanks
Pat

Postby plum » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Pat
that is great,
thanks for you help on this.
will wait for it to come onto the website.
plum
plum

Return to Procedures