short synacthin test

short synacthin test

Postby plum » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:58 pm

hello
Just wondering if anyone has had a short synacthin test and if so how was it, especially in comparison with the Insulin tolerance test (ITT)? Does it make you feel tired just like the ITT? I last had ITT about 5 years ago but this time they are planning the short synacthin instead. ITT used to leave me tired and I tended to sleep for the rest of the afternoon. Just wondering if that's likely to be same this time.
thanks
plum
plum

Re: short synacthin test

Postby member_41389 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi Plum
I had the SST 5 years ago prior to proper diagnosis. Basically it had little effect on me but was boring.
It's a much kinder test on you than the ITT as well as being a lot cheaper to administer. The ITT means you have to be continuously monitored and are at significant risk of injury whereas there is very little risk in the SST. The ITT is contraindicated for people with cardiac issues including high blood pressure, anyone over the age of 60 or with diabetes to name a few.
Take care
Tim
member_41389

Postby plum » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:51 am

Thanks Tim
Fingers crossed that I 'pass'!
plum
plum

Postby Carl » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:33 am

Agree with Tim. I had my SST in 2013 after my operation to remove the adenoma. Just boring....cannula inserted, drug injected, bloods taken several times. Sitting around in a waiting room waiting for the next blood sample to be taken. I don't remember any ill effects. I had the results very quickly, within a couple of days I think.

Regards, Carl.
Carl

Return to Procedures