music

music

Postby plum » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:07 am

hi
am just putting together some music to listen to during radiotherapy.
i wondered what music anybody has found particularly helpful / soothing / uplifting etc.
thanks
plum
plum

Re: music

Postby emer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:31 pm

Hi plum! Do you know when you'll have your radiotherapy? I didn't know you got to listen to music, that's a nice touch.

I guess it all comes down to personal taste but certainly when I need to relax, I like to listen to singers like Nina Simone, Etta James, Billie Holiday. Not to everyone's taste though, I guess.

I remember being very disappointed when I went to have my MRI and there was no option of playing music - someone had told me that they'd had it for their MRI. Had to sit in there trying to remember bits of poetry to recite to myself!
emer

Postby Bill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:40 pm

We get music during our MRI here in Aberdeen, but unfortunately we don't get to pick our own music - I got Take That :~( but once the machine starts the actual scan you can't hear the music ( blessing in disguise, as I'm no Take That fan). Having said that my last scan just before Xmas didn't take long 4minutes for each scan. This is a new scanner the hospital has and I think its a good deal faster than the old one.
Bill

Postby emer » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:50 pm

Haha, maybe it's just as well I didn't get the music, then! Four minutes per scan is really fast, that must be a much better machine. Although part of the reason my first scan took so long is that I couldn't keep still even with my head strapped in, I kept twitching. So I guess I only had myself to blame :P
emer

Postby Bill » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:23 pm

The nurse who I was talking to during my MRI was telling me they aren't using their old MRI machine now - seems a waste if thats true.
Bill

Postby plum » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:31 pm

well ha ha funny story about the music. i went through my music collection with closed eyes and tried to imagine lying still for 40 minutes and very soothing music got eliminated as being too quiet etc and unlikely to grab my attention enough to keep out those thoughts of frying brain.....
but dance music did not seem to be very appropriate either. classical was ok so long as the piece did not have very quiet bits. i decided to include shortish peices eg the minute waltz so as to help me mark the time. i made up a lovely mp3 player with about an hour of music from around the world.
and then...
....it was not compatible with the machine in the hospital.
never mind - that gave me an activity for about 2 days when i did not think about what was about to happen.
in the end there was a radio for the machine. the winner was radio 3. there is quite a bit of noise going on in the background of the radiotherapy so very quiet music or talking doesn't really work. but nothing as loud as an mri machine thank goodness.
and somehow the time managed to pass without stress.
plum.
plum

Postby emer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:06 pm

Wow, so you've already had your radiotherapy? Was it just the one-off treatment or do you have to go back? At least collecting music gave you something to do, even though it seems a shame you didn't get to use it! How are you feeling so far?
emer

Postby member_31784 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi Plum

Glad the radiotherapy went without too much stress and hope any further sessions go well. Cheers Kare
member_31784

Postby plum » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:10 pm

thanks both.

all went ok in that there was no pain or discomfort and the radiotherapy team was very friendly and reassuring. i had 3 sessions altogether, each one lasting about 40 minutes plus setting up time. then had fabulous back massage after the first 2 sessions. had not realised how 'tense' my back had become. can definitely recommend massage if it is on offer.

now i have much dizziness-type head and need to not keep it raised above shoulders too long or i need to lie down. so therefore am very grateful have a bed and a sofa to do so. did not start straight away, but about a week after the radiotherapy. i did go outside the other day but with company just in case as had had a dizzy spell last thursday. but at least was at hospital already so that is the best place to be like that.

not sure if this is due to frying or to steroids but makes little difference so am assuming that what happens happens and maybe it will pass....eventually.

lucky had anticipated some 'inacapacity' so had stocked up fridge and freezer with pots of homemade soup in advance. and friends family neighbours bring milk etc. not much appetite really. mainly eating for the dexamethasone.

cheers

plum
plum

Postby member_32033 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi Plum,

Glad to hear the radiotherapy not too bad. I think the dizzy feeling is quite common for a few months. I certainly had it on and off after mine but it did ease after a while.
Hope you can generally put your feet up.

Best wishes,

Anglo Belgian
member_32033

Next

Return to Radiotherapy