National Hospital Gamma Knife dispute

National Hospital Gamma Knife dispute

Postby member_38167 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Is anyone else affected by the current dispute between the National Hospital of Neurology and NHS England over whether the hospital can use it's new (presumably state of the art) gamma knife facility? I've just had a letter explaining that I've been approved for gamma knife, but that the hospital can't currently undertake the procedure because of the dispute. I'm gutted - I was really pleased that the funding was approved and genuinely thrilled that my lovely, competent neurosurgeon would be undertaking the procedure. Now I have to decide whether to wait and see whether the dispute is resolved or be referred to another hospital which has no previous knowledge of my case and of whom I have no experience.

I feel for those with more immediately life threatening conditions affected by this: http://www.express.co.uk/news/health/42 ... cer-killer.

Not sure what this explanation from NHS England means really:

"Until those capacity requirements are clear it would be inappropriate to encourage new market entrants to provide this service as NHS England cannot be clear what the potential consequential impacts on service quality, sustainability (financial and clinical) and potential unintended changes to patient pathways will be."

Wondering whether the Foundation is aware of this issue and has any guidance?
member_38167

Re: National Hospital Gamma Knife dispute

Postby member_38167 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:40 pm

member_38167

Postby plum » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:23 am

oh for heavens' sake. this is unbelievable.

on the one hand there is a push to rearrange local services in order to create 'centres of excellence' and then the centre of excellence is strangulated.....

can you contact your MP about this?
also, if you have a nice neurosurgeon try to telephone / email and see what they advise.....or your endocrinologist?

you don't need this added worry on top of everything else.

good luck and hope that this gets resolved very quickly.

plum
plum

Postby member_38167 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Yes, it is truly ridiculous. I have written to the head of NHS commissioning, my MP and the hospital. Let's see what happens!
member_38167

Postby plum » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:26 pm

i think that this is something that the pituitary foundation should be getting involved in also.
ie being interviewed on the radio /tv etc - now that would be a good way to raise the profile of the foundation as well.....

there is also the rare disease UK. eg i copy from an email i got from them recently:

"Caring for people living with a rare disease has many facets. Some patients have access to medicines while others have no treatment available. ........ Care can consist of special equipment, expert medical consultation, physical therapy, social services, medicines, respite for family members, and much more. "

they might be good for publicity and hence embarrassing the decision makers into changing their minds?

plum
plum

Postby plum » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:53 am

i heard on the radio that proton therapy is coming to the UK. at Christies and at UCLH.
and is going to cost a lot of money.

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org ... -patients/

given the current dispute on gamma knife i winder if there is a link?

ie a decision-maker somewhere doesn't understand the difference between the various treatment options and that both are required ? we're not upgrading machines the way some people change mobile phones.

plum
plum

Return to Radiotherapy