Neurosurgeon's change of tune

Neurosurgeon's change of tune

Postby Lou » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:39 pm

Hi

I have a non functioning macro and was diagnosed about 5 years ago. Initially saw neurosurgeon who decided to take a watch and wait approach as taking it out would not make me better than I was at the time and could result in loss of function. Tumour initially shrunk but latest mri has shown some growth so was referred back to same neurosurgeon who now has had a total turn around and wants to take it out 'before it gets too big'. He told me he has changed his approach and believes they should be removed. I am so confused considering it is still smaller than when it was first discovered. I believe all my functions are still ok although it is v near the optic bit!! I am now confused as he has told me it needs to come out in the next couple of years :(
Lou

Re: Neurosurgeon's change of tune

Postby plum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:09 pm

hi Lou

it sounds as though it might be the nearness of the optic nerve rather than the overall size that is the important factor here!

i know in my case that the location and shape of the tumour challenged the neurosurgeons. when i asked its size they seemed confused as it was clearly not something that they were particularly interested in.

it sounds extremely scary but many of us here have had the surgery....

good luck

plum
plum

Postby Lou » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:42 am

Hi Plum

I think you've hit the nail on the head there - I am scared!! When I first found out I had it, I just wanted it taken out, but they wouldn't remove it, so I spent a long time getting used to the idea that it was staying...now the turnaround has totally thrown me....oh well :roll:

Lou
Lou

Postby plum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:21 am

hi Lou

In my case they initially said i would have surgery in 3 months' time and then they changed their minds and brought surgery forward by 2 months. so there was no time to think. i remember that i did a lot of tidying up my home, i threw out or otherwise redistributed a lot of clutter, dealt with outstanding paper work, and prepared large quantities of food to shove in the freezer for post surgery. oh and i asked friends and family to send me jokes. this had the added benefit of giving them something to do beside worrying on my behalf. ha ha

all of these activities meant no time to think about what was about to happen .....

good luck and best wishes

Plum
plum

Postby member_31784 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Hi Lou

Hope all goes well. I think your neuro will be worried by its proximity to the optic nerve so its as well to have surgery. Plus the smaller it is the less complicated the surgery.

Mine actually started pressing on the nerve, I didn't even know I had a tumour until my sight started going and then it suddenly grew so ended up with emergency surgery. I woke up from the operation and could see across the recovery room whereas the day before I could barely see anything.

Better out than in say!!!

Good luck Karen
member_31784

Return to Surgery