Taste, smell and possible sinus problem.

Taste, smell and possible sinus problem.

Postby Mgh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:00 pm

I have searched to see if there is any discussion about problems similar to mine. The only reference I have found is this 'despite some medication for blocked sinuses I have a disgusting taste and smell in my mouth'. This was written by a forum contributor fairly soon after her transphenoidal surgery for a non functioning macroadenoma.
I am now nearly three years post surgery and have experienced a similarly disgusting smell. Last year, after some weeks of a build up of smell and recurring infections, a large lump of something came in to my mouth. It was sent off for histology and I was told it was 'infected flesh but nothing sinister'! Once again the smell started in late December and last month another lump came through. The smell swiftly disappeared.
If there is anyone else out there with a similar experience, I would love to hear from you and if and how you got to the root of the problem and what helped improved the situation.
Mgh

Re: Taste, smell and possible sinus problem.

Postby plum » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:34 pm

oh my goodness that sounds really worrying and unpleasant.
by 'nothing sinister' i assume that they mean non-cancer therefore it is OK.
um...no it isn't ok actually.
would your gp write to the neurosurgeon to ask for an explanation?
good luck
and hope that it clears up soon
plum
plum

Postby Carl » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:49 am

Agree with Plum, something to be followed up, yuk. I do still have a bit of a mucky nose 10 months after via the nose surgery but only a slight bad smell in occasion, nothing like this or a bad taste...I have mentioned it to my Endo Consultant who said whenever I get fed up with it let him know and he will refer me to an ENT Consultant.
Last edited by Carl on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carl

Postby plum » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:16 pm

my 'drippy nose' post surgery is due to something they call a mucocele.
over the years it has gradually cleared up on one side but not yet fully on the other.
"just one of those things" is what i was told. hmmm.
but i am still being monitored by ENT until it all clears up fully.
i was referred to ENT by the endocrinologist. not sure if referrals are quicker when made within the hospital rather than from GP to hospital?
plum
plum

Postby Mgh » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:00 am

Thank you Plum and Carl for telling me your experiences. I am waiting for a CAT scan. The thinking is that it is sinus related.....lots of such symptoms. I also have memobian cysts on my left eyelid and varying hazy vision. Connected?
What I wonder is if there are many others out there who suffer such symptoms in silence because, post surgery, we are so busy concentrating on the other aspects of our condition such as balancing the medication etc.
Having had years of practice of keeping going in spite of the build up of symptoms of a pituitary macro adenoma I am trying to remain determined and hopefully get to understand this problem and what can be done to improve the situation.
Hopefully, the forum can help throw more light on the occurrence of such symptoms.
Mgh

Return to Surgery