Hospital Admissions and Clueless Doctors!!!!

Hospital Admissions and Clueless Doctors!!!!

Postby K9Trainer » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Last night I had a hospital admission with suspected Hyponutremia, due to a mix up with my desmopressin. Once again I found myself feeling unwell and anxious in the hands of doctors who didn't have the slightest idea about what a pituitary gland is let alone the implications of not having one and the medication involved.

This is a serious and potentially dangerous situation that I strongly feel needs to be addressed. If my life is at risk, I want to know that the doctors who have supposedly earned the title Dr, know what they are dealing with!

What can be done to rectify this situation and what can we, as the patients who will potentially suffer because of it do about it!
K9Trainer

Re: Hospital Admissions and Clueless Doctors!!!!

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:44 am

One thing that will help is to carry a Patient Care Card (we can provide these) and make sure the doctor treating you reads it.
The Care Card has a section for a pre-typed sticky label (we will also provide) if you have diabetes insipidus -this says:
I have Diabetes Insipidus
1. I am at risk of dehydration if I do not receive my regular medication
2. I am at risk of hyponatraemia if given large volumes of fluid together with my regular medication.
Please seek expert advice from an endocrinologist on my fluid balance

Further, the doctor could be asked to see our section from the website under 'Medical Professionals' for information.

pat
Pat

Return to Living with Pituitary