No
13%
She should be ashamed of herself
38%

Total votes : 8

6ft 5in girl sues doctors over unchecked growth which has ru

Postby member_39183 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:42 am

Hi, it's Richard from Wigan.

Within the last two weeks I have been diagnosed with a pit macroadonema and acromegaly.

I just wondered what everyone's thoughts were on a story in the press whereby a young lady has brought about successful legal proceedings against the NHS for not diagnosing her pit tumour for 4 years.

You can see and comment on the story at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2168610/6ft-5in-girl-sues-doctors-unchecked-growth-ruined-plans-actress.html.

If you would like to read about my recent experiences feel free to head over to my blog http://www.dickymoo.com/.

Thanks and take care, Richard
member_39183

Re: 6ft 5in girl sues doctors over unchecked growth which has ru

Postby plum » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi Richard

it is an interesting one this. i am sure that nearly all of us could tell the story of how diagnosis took several years. and of the frustration and distress that causes and how we wish that it had been picked up earlier becasue our bodies would have been less damaged, the tumour would have been smaller, surgery would have had a better chance of success, our lives would have been less 'reduced'. i fully understand where she is coming from on the psychological and physiological problems.

but isn't that the distressing way with these pituitary conditions? that the symptoms are so 'ordinary' and gradual that it takes many years before the pattern emerges and points to the diagnosis.

my injections were delayed post surgery due to lengthy funding discussions which allowed the tumour to reactivate itself, making me sick again . the pct further reduced my treatment by taking a long time before finally refusing funding for my cyberknife treatment (but i was fortunate that a charity stepped in). two million pounds would pay for a lot of cyberknife therapy and injections.

i read that she wants private treatment but i think that there is a lot to be said for being in a system such as there is in the NHS, and which would ensure that there is proper follow up and testing in addition to the various treatments. and in many cases isn't it the same doctors who work privately and within the nhs? so what is the advantage?

would be interesting to read others' thoughts on this. pituitary conditions certainly seem to be big in the news at the moment, in a somewhat distressing way.

plum
plum

Postby plum » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:12 pm

so it seems that she won.

i note that so far it seems to be a unanimous vote....
plum

Postby member_39183 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:30 am

Hello and apologies for not responding sooner. Must say i am rather disgusted by this girls course of action and the level of award. Sure that there are thousands of people in worse situations that could have come up with an equally convincing claim to extract money from the system. The monies could have otherwise been spent on better things such as hospital equipment, medical staff or research etc. Have a great day and sorry again for the delay in responding. Ricardo x
member_39183

Return to Living with Pituitary