looking for reference on fatigue / cognitive function

looking for reference on fatigue / cognitive function

Postby plum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:22 am

hi

does anyone have a reference for a reliable document that explains / links pituitary patients and fatigue and / or cognitive ability?

it is mentioned as an aside in so many reports etc and almost taken for granted that it happens.

i have the various pituitary foundation leaflets but i'm wondering if anyone has anything else that they've used to successfully convince the panel at the social security tribunal that we are not faking it and that it is all unpredictable etc.....needs to be clear enough for them to understand. there's a challenge......

thanks
plum

Re: looking for reference on fatigue / cognitive function

Postby Sandy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Plum, how did it go with the tribunal? Did you get the info & did you win?
Sx
Sandy

Postby plum » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:36 pm

hi Sandy

thanks for asking.

the latest is that i received a letter explaining that there is such a backlog in appeals to be heard that they are proposing having some hearings on Saturdays in order to catch up.

My appeal was started in February of this year. They replied that it would probably not happen before 19th September due to high case load, and now...well who knows?

will let you know if there is any progress....
plum

Postby Sandy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:04 am

How frustrating for you, Plum!
I'd be very interested in any references you've used - yesterday I heard that my employer is putting me onto 'zero pay' but at the same time doesn't think I should receive a pension thro ill health.... am beyond disappointed, quite devastated. Not sure where to go yet so just hanging on & thinking.
Good luck with your case
Sx
Sandy

Postby plum » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi Sandy

Ha ha luckily I don't have enough cortisol to get frustrated / stressed about anything any more!

Do you have a Citizens Advice Centre nearby where they could advise you on how to manage your employer? Or is there a disability employment advisor at the local job centre? I have met 2 such people so far and they are extremely nice.

Meanwhile as for the references, I used pages 12-14 of the latest medcial guidelines for treatment from the American Association for Clinical Endocrinologists as they mention fatigue and memory loss.
I also sent a couple of pages from the Pituitary Foundation booklet which says that fatigue is a problem.
So I hope that will enough.

It is just not easy to explain to healthy people what fatigue is like, is it? And it is all so unpredicatable. I have days (luckily) when I seem able to move around and do things and it would be easy to think that all is OK, within limits. But other times even without doing anything I feel 'empty', with no apparent warning or logic.

Good luck with your employer. You really don't need the additional worry on top of the illness.
plum

Return to Employment