Explaining to my employer

Explaining to my employer

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:05 am

Hi, I wonder if anyone has any advice for me?
I've got isolated GH deficiency & altho I'm receiving the right daily dose (according to blood levels) I've only experienced a slight improvement in my symptoms over the 8 months I've been on GH, and as a result I've been off work for a year now.
After gradully reducing pay levels, I'm now on zero pay, a situation which frankly neither me nor my employer ever dreamt would happen - I was obviously expected to improve significantly when given the treatment.
My employer (via HR & co Dr) have arranged to see me next week to decide the right way forward - I'm not capable of work (cognition, fatigue, pain) and can't really see that I will be in future.
Can anyone advise me on how to explain to my employer the severity & signigificance of this condition?
Has anyone got any experience of receiving medical retirement from work due to a pituitary condition?
Thanks for any help you can give!
Sx
Sandy

Re: Explaining to my employer

Postby plum » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:54 pm

Hi Sandy
So sorry to hear what you have been going through.

This fatigue thing seems to be extremely difficult to explain especially since those who do not have it seem to equate it with being tired and that a little rest will solve things.

Have you seen the information on fatigue on the macmillan website? there may be something useful on there.

or how about the following link?
http://pituitary.mgh.harvard.edu/e-f-944.htm

it is so mentally and emotionally tiring to have to explain and justify how we are feeling isn't it?

wishing you all the best
plum

Postby pwoodger » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi,

I have also had problems with fatigue/concentration at work. I now work 75% time; for 75% money of course, but I'm glad that I have this possibility.

I work in a large organisation and through my GP and agreement with an internal work committee, it was agreed that my condition (prolactinoma removed surgically and full hormone replacement)is considered a disability. This allowed me the concept of "reasonable accomodation" at work.

This basically means that wherever possible my bosses are obliged to take this disability into account for all aspects of my work. More flexible hours when needed etc.

I still find my work diffiult and will retire as soon as I can afford to. I could also try to go down the invalidity route at work, but this would leave me much worse off.

It is difficult, but it may be worth exploring some sort of working at home or flexitime compromise, so that you can do some work when you feel most able.

Hope this is of some help

Phil
pwoodger

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi PLum, Hi Phil, thanks, I really appreciate your advice. This forum is a great place! :D
I'll keep you in touch,
Take care
Sx
Sandy

Return to Employment