Exercise Limitations-Contact sports

Exercise Limitations-Contact sports

Postby Danny » Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Might seem like a stupid question but if you don’t ask you will never know, does anyone know of any limitations on exercising if you have a pit tumour (benign), by limitations I mean are there certain contact sports you have to avoid such as kick boxing where you are taking blows to the head but are protected to a certain degree by head gear, the same could be said for playing rugby?

Only asking because i have taken my kids to kick boxing classes for the past 3 years and have just started training myself (trying to lose some weight) but haven’t delved in to the sparring side of things yet but really want to.

Going to speak to my endo nurse but wanted feedback from people living this condition first :)
Danny

Re: Exercise Limitations-Contact sports

Postby Danny » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:00 am

In case anyone out there is interested, the answer i got from my Endo clinic was:

As it has been longer than 2 years following your surgery it would be as safe as it could be to take part. It was mentioned though that you should be mindful of symptoms of extreme fatigue, light headedness, dizziness, weakness, stomach cramps, nausea and weight loss. Also if you have persisting headaches. Please stop the activity and contact myself or your GP if this should occur.

Hope that helps someone as much as it helped me :D

It’s nice to know this disorder doesn’t have to completely take over your life if you dont let it!
Danny

Postby buddyboy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:25 am

Hi Danny,
I had pituitary surgery in December 2012, and had similar concerns.
Keeping fit and exercising I beleive is essential to our wellbing, despite it being extremely difficult to initiate when you have such low motivation levels (e.g. with Hypopituitarism like I have).

I used to do wakeboarding/waterskii-ing, but no longer have the desire to do this - hitting the water at about 30mph head first (as you inevitably do) seems like a bad plan (does this qualify as a contact sport?!)! I however continue to do cycling, despite having a bad crash earlier this year (2013 - more contact - with the tarmac), and also now do more swimming. I force myself to go and do these even though I usually don't feel like doing it - I always feel better afterwards.

The bottom line I guess is: (a) take medical advice (b) do what you feel comfortable with (c) consider taking up new sports that you would feel safer with (d) despite low motivation - just do it!
buddyboy

Postby Danny » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:30 pm

Hi Buddy Boy,

It’s good to hear that there are other people out there who aren’t willing to let this condition get to them and take over their lives, I’m also hypo pit and have been through a rough couple of years after surgery but when you have a young family and a full on job where people rely on you it’s not easy to roll over and give up.

I start sparring at kick boxing on Friday night and can’t wait :D just hope the knees don’t give way lol
Danny

Postby ian » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:44 am

I was diagnosed with a protactinoma in 1981 after a two year series of illnesses. As a teenager I was incredibly fit from playing a lot of rugby and from aged 16 to 19 I played for Bath. Anyway, following my illness I have had several attempts to lose the extra weight and start sport again. I started mountain biking in 1996 through 1999 until a bad crash and broken arm/damaged shoulder sidelined me. Then I moved area, got married again, got caught up in 12 hour travel/working days and never really got going again. Until 2011.

By that time I was way overweight, like 8 stone overweight! Since March 2011 I have lost over 5 stone through diet and working with a Personal Trainer. I was training 5 days a week, sometimes 6 and it was very intensive. Since mid 2011 I started mountain biking again. I no longer work with the trainer but I still train/ride 5 or 6 times a week to a total of 6 to 9 hours per week. I spin in the gym once or twice a week and ride on or off-road 3 or 4 times a week plus gym sessions for core/weights. I'm just about to start circuit training sessions and trial kick-boxing for cross training purposes and I'm going to drop one cycling session so I can start running again.

If that all sounds a bit mad, well I guess it is but in fairness I am starting training for off-road duathlons and cyclocross racing ready for this autumn. I also do quite a few 'non' competitive mountain bike enduro events that typically last 4 to 6 hours and ideally I'd like to start XC MTB racing next year.

I'm 53, I have a resting heart-rate of 40 bpm and following a recent ECG my GP pronounced me as 'very fit' and with a typical ECG of someone who's a trained athlete. Which was nice. :D

I still have that last 3 stone to lose but it's proving hard work despite my high level of fitness. If anything, I've largely ignored my condition other than taking my 'standard' med though after a massive scare 2 weeks ago, I had what seems to be a hypoglycaemic reaction where I passed out and stopped breathing, I'm now researching what I can do to take more precautions. The mrs thought I had died which wasn't too nice for her. I'm waiting to go into the endo centre for some tests.

To put that in perspective, I'd injured my back riding and was on very strong pain killers and had not had my daily meds. As I got out of bed I had a searing pain in my back followed by the 'episode' which was all over in just a few minutes. After 2 weeks off from training I'm now back 100% flat out again which is great. So no, I don't let my condition get in the way of my sport/exercise! Sorry for the ramble.

cheers

Ian
ian

Postby Danny » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:57 pm

Don’t worry about the ramble Ian, its brilliant to read some positivity on here, onwards and upwards!! :D

I’m 37 years old and nowhere near as fit as you but with training twice a week at kickboxing and keeping my diet under control I’m looking forward to getting my fitness levels back to where they were a good few years ago. I give my eldest son (13) a good laugh when we go kickboxing, he’s been doing it for 4 years + so to watch his unfit, bright red, breathless old man do kick boxing with him is the high light of his week, I will get fit again just to stop him laughing at me :lol:

Danny
Danny

Return to Nutrition and Weight