Puzzled - not losing weight

Puzzled - not losing weight

Postby member_37049 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Hi

I'm wondering if anyone could help me. I've stayed the same weight for 2 years and I'm just puzzled as to why I'm not losing weight. Sometimes I put a few pounds on and lose it again but I'm just stuck at about 15st. I do some exercise and I'm always conscious at what I eat and count calories etc. I'm currently on 25mg hydrocortisone a day and 150mg thyroxine a day and desmopressin spray.
member_37049

Re: Puzzled - not losing weight

Postby plum » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 am

hi

what does your endocrinologist say about it?

could the hydrocortisone be the reason for not being able to lose weight? are you on a dose that is too high?

or do your thyroxine levels need to be tweaked?

also, how are your energy levels? i feel so rubbish and 'below-par' most days that i can tire myself out by doing not very much. even making a decision makes me tired ha ha. so i am definitely not able to maintain a sufficiently 'normal' level of physical activity. therefore i have to eat a 'below normal' diet in terms of calories to avoid gaining weight.

it's horrid isn't it, having to put up with this weight as well as everything else.

good luck

Plum
plum

Postby member_37049 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Hi Plum

Thank you for replying. How much hydrocortisone do you take? I also suffer from hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) so when this happens I have to eat more and double my hydrocortisone. Yeah, i do get tired very easily and I push myself. It's ever since I had a liver tumour removed I haven't been able to lose weight. I lost a stone very quickly after coming off a lot of hydrocortisone but stayed the same for a very long time. I do get down about it at times because it's not as if I eat large amounts of food. Also at the moment I'm suffering from feeling sick all the time and gastric symptoms and just recently had a gastroscopy which showed inflammation of my stomach and they are also going to test how my bile is working because I haven't got a gallbladder, so I've got a lot going on at the moment :(
member_37049

Postby member_37049 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Do you think the amount of hydrocortisone I'm currently on could be preventing me from losing weight or am I not on a higher enough dose for it to be causing me weight gain? Also has anyone had other side effects from taking hydrocortisone e.g. Brittle bones etc?
member_37049

Postby plum » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

hi

i'm just back from the LAPPS meeting where Prof Bouloux gave a very interesting session, which included a talk about weight gain.....

he mentioned that the following might be linked to weight gain : Growth hormone deficiency, too much cortisol, incorrect thyroxine levels. also that the actual cause might be tricky to disentangle because it is so complex and also linked to diet and activity levels and hunger and satiety, which may or may not be related to the pituitary and/or the treatment.....

it sounds as though you are going though a lot of very complex stuff, not just the pituitary problems so you'd have to keep on at the various doctors about your weight concerns. it could be linked to so many things.

not sure if this helps.

all the best

plum
plum

Postby member_37049 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Plum

Thank you very much - yes that's very helpful. It could be lack of growth hormone because I am not on it anymore due to other problems and I don't think I can go back on it. My thyroid levels are fine. Did you say you suffer from weight gain? What kinds of things do you eat?
member_37049

Postby member_37049 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:13 pm

I get weighed weekly because I'm conscious of what I weigh and this week I've put on over half a stone in a week!! How can that be!! I just feel like giving in. I have started some new tablets this week - anti acids and anti sickness but only been having them a few days. I'm just puzzled :(
member_37049

Postby plum » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:25 pm

hi

another thing that was very interesting was someone explaining how her weight has fluctuated very widely over the past years and that her diet and lifestyle / exercise didn't change, but the only thing that changed was various 'tweaking' of medications. it was a very interesting insight into the fact that with this complex thing our weight can be pretty much beyond our control......

as for what i eat: i tend to cook my food from scratch - a lot of fruit and vegetables, dairy, cheese, pulses. not pure veggie since i eat fish sometimes. i have managed to stop myself from buying chocolate, which i used to do, especially in the year post diagnosis. but my physical activity levels have dropped drastically due to fatigue / loss of stamina etc.

I lost about 7kg in the year just after surgery, without making any effort - yes, even though i was eating a lot of chocolate.......but over the past 2 years it has all crept back on. so that's weird.

is there a dietician at your hospital that you could talk to? you might have to be referred by the endocrinologist / other consultant, but that might be useful.

good luck

plum
plum

Return to Nutrition and Weight