Flu jab

Flu jab

Postby Mgh » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Happy New Year all. Does anyone out there know if hypopituitary patients fit into the category that automatically qualifies one for having a flu jab? Is it advisable to have it or does it depend on the individual?
Mgh

Re: Flu jab

Postby plum » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:32 pm

that is a very interesting question...
i keep meaning to ask my GP but then i don't want to disturb him more than i already do and i prefer to avoid having yet more injections. however....

i did read up that people with diabetes mellitus are at greater risk of getting flu and of having complications, but does that apply to hypopituitary also?

would be good to hear the answer.

plum
plum

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:09 pm

Having a flu jab or not is an individual thing but recommended by NHS for those (amongst other criteria) who are immuno compromised, which could include those taking high doses of steroids. For those with hypopituitarism for example, taking replacement doses of hydrocortisone, immunity shouldn't be compromised.
Best to discuss with your individual GP or endocrinologist.

Pat
Pat

Postby Danny » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:53 pm

My G.P sends me a letter every year about having the flu jab but i never go as ive already discussed it with them and my Endo and there is no need for me to go, one less injection will do me nicely thank you!
Danny

Postby Mgh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies. I wonder how frequently hypopit people feel they do not have easy access to accepting and well informed, follow-up professional advice so they become reluctant to raise a query or; as Plum says, 'disturb him anymore than I already do'. I feel that when questions and concerns remain unaddressed the treatment and care is not always as good as it could be.
Mgh

Postby Bill » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I usually get a letter each year from my GP and go for my flu jab - only drawback is that I usually suffer flu-like symptoms for about 3 days starting within about 4 hours of me getting the jab.
Bill

Postby ratkinson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:20 pm

I have always been advised to have it, due to the severity of flu (ie even fit and healthy people can die from it) and it could be much more complicated to deal with if contracted by a person who is steroid dependant and cannot mount a proper cortisol response. Why not just play safe and cut out that risk.
Rachel
ratkinson

Postby Jo Bull » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm

I have only been diagnosed a year but was recommended to have it by my GP AND ENDO team. I've had it and not suffered any ill effect. I know how ill a common cold can make me and how much extra hydrocortisone I have to take with this so the thought of catching flu is not worth thinking about.
Jo Bull

Postby Mgh » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:25 pm

I thought I would report back. I had the flu jab this morning. The GP was unsure if I fitted into the category of people who are advised to have it and had said initially that I could have it if I paid for it! This comment did nothing to quell my fear that the attitude, probably not conscious, which prevails; is that anyone with a complex condition is considered a drain on resources. There are two large notices in the surgery which say 'one appointment, one problem'. Such an attitude of mind doesn't lend itself to diagnosing a condition, such as pituitary macroadenoma, where there are a myriad of contributory symptoms and it is not particularly helpful either when monitoring the after affects which combine within the hypopituitary patient. In spite of my experiences, I remain a patient, patient! :|
Mgh

Postby Bill » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:14 pm

Mgh wrote:I thought I would report back. I had the flu jab this morning. The GP was unsure if I fitted into the category of people who are advised to have it and had said initially that I could have it if I paid for it! This comment did nothing to quell my fear that the attitude, probably not conscious, which prevails; is that anyone with a complex condition is considered a drain on resources. There are two large notices in the surgery which say 'one appointment, one problem'. Such an attitude of mind doesn't lend itself to diagnosing a condition, such as pituitary macroadenoma, where there are a myriad of contributory symptoms and it is not particularly helpful either when monitoring the after affects which combine within the hypopituitary patient. In spite of my experiences, I remain a patient, patient! :|

The "one appointment, one problem" is used in most GP surgeries because obviously if everyone goes in with one problem then expects the doctor to consult on another problem then this would cause a massive pile up in the waiting room. Usually if I think I may be longer than normal or have more than one thing to consult the doctor with then I make a double appointment.
Bill

Next

Return to Other