Travel Insurance

Travel Insurance

Postby Mgh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Having retired early, it is with fingers and toes crossed and with more hope than confidence that we are planning to visit Australia, New Zealand and various islands later this year. It is twenty months since the transphenoidal surgery to remove a pituitary macroadenoma. I am on all the usual replacements, incl. GH injection, for anterior pit damage. I would love to hear about other people's experiences of travel; everything from getting travel insurance, taking the drugs on the plane and through customs, to adjusting the hydrocortisone dose and keeping medications cool. Thank you, I hope you are able to share your experience and give me advice, comments, suggestions, thoughts, warnings etc.
Mgh

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby ratkinson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi
We went to new Zealand in oct last year, flying straight through with no stop over. I am on all the usual replacements inc growth hormone and I carry an emergency injection of cortisol.
I used direct line to insure me- declaring as pan hypo pituitary and secondary adrenal insufficiency.
For the air travel I got a covering letter from my gp declaring the injectables.I also carried a copy of my prescription.I always wear a medic alert. I carried a set of my meds in my luggage and a set in hand luggage in case off loss.
I survived the flight quite well apart from a mega headache on the way out .I spaced my meds according to airplane time and local time. My only problem was with bottled water (i have partial DI) we had to get off the plane at kuala lumpar (which we didn't realise) so they could clean it ,and had to pass through security and then they wouldn't let me back through with my opened bottle of water, which stressed me quite a bit . I used the mini quick growth hormone injections that don't need refrigeration. I think that's about all. Oh yes take one of those inflatable neck cushion things, I found it impossible to sleep for more than 20 mins ?when sat upright
ratkinson

Postby ratkinson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Apologies for the abrupt end and random? For some reason it went all funny,anyway hope that helps -hope you have a great time. Rachel
ratkinson

Postby Mgh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 pm

Thank you Rachel for sharing your experience and the helpful hints for the prepartion, the journey and about the GH. I am trying to put together gradually all that I need to do. I have just reread your message and realised that I had not said thank you. It is just the sort of first hand info I was looking for.
I will ask about the GH mini quicks. We will be away for six weeks so need to get it right. I still don't feel I am stable so am also working on what is the best daily régime and hope I will have reached a more consistent state before I travel.
We got annual insurance through Staysure and have booked the flights. Like you, I declared hypopituitary and secondary adrenal insufficiency.
I am beginning to wonder if all forum members are hibernating for the month if March or is the forum out of action!
Maria
Mgh

Postby George » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:50 pm

My wife has takes methotrexate for rheumatoid arthritis and I have a failed pituitary so take the hormone works. In the past we have been given lots of restrictions and premium hikes from insurance companies. Now for travel insurance we go through our bank current account plus inclusive travel insurance . We do the declarations and we are covered. Last time we used HSBC but for this trip it’s the CoOp with no excess.
George

Return to Other