A new digital lease of life!

Re: A new digital lease of life!

Postby fraserc » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:19 am

Hi Mgh,

Thanks - did you use the forum before it was closed off to non members? By all accounts it was busier and more lively. It's that critical mass again. A magazine survey and perhaps a survey on the website might be way forward. Input from users is key. Are there other forums you like?
fraserc

Postby Mgh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:45 pm

I needed to be a member to access the forum in 2011 so have no experience of the previous site. It took me a while to sort it all out initially but my brain was functioning through more fog then! I have The Pituitary Foundation set up in my favourites and I can access the forum content without signing in/logging on. This makes it very quick to check on updates. I only log on if I want to post.
I use Duolingo for help with language learning but find their forum difficult and time consuming to use so don't bother!
Do you know how many people access the site as opposed to the number of postings and posters? Why do people not use the forum? Would more people use it more if they had good support and guidance initially until they become familiar with using the site. What is the age group spread among users? Lots of questions! Would dedicated promotion of the forum (as an important resource within the Pituitary Foundation) in posters for clinics, make any difference?
Good luck with your ideas and information gathering!
Mgh

Postby DerryAcro » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:58 pm

hi Fraser, One change i would like to see is an increase in the number of characters allowed in the search facility please.
ie cant search for posts referring to HAEMOCHROMATOSIS, STEATOHEPATITIS, HYPOPITUITARISM etc
thank you
DerryAcro

Postby MikeC » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:49 am

I visit the forum about twice a week, and often there are no new posts, which is fine, but it would be nice to see new posts every visit.

When I have posted questions, I have received really helpful information, which has really helped me.

I'm a member of a number of medical forums in the US, and a lot of US posts pretty much fall under the "poor me" posts, while the UK posts are either "I have a problem, can you help" and are generally far more positive.... I would like to see the number of people using the forum increased, and the number of posts and replies increased dramatically, but I would like to avoid the "poor me" posts.
MikeC

Postby Carl » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:06 pm

member_42045 wrote:I visit the forum about twice a week, and often there are no new posts, which is fine, but it would be nice to see new posts every visit.

When I have posted questions, I have received really helpful information, which has really helped me.

I'm a member of a number of medical forums in the US, and a lot of US posts pretty much fall under the "poor me" posts, while the UK posts are either "I have a problem, can you help" and are generally far more positive.... I would like to see the number of people using the forum increased, and the number of posts and replies increased dramatically, but I would like to avoid the "poor me" posts.

Well said, totally agree with all of this!
Carl

Postby fraserc » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi everyone,

Great feedback.

DerryAcro - size of search - that's a good point! Mgh some good questions in there. I think that in general our site should be a little more user friendly. Some clearer option to join our forums should send more people here. We're aiming to be a good, reliable source of information so building a good community here is important.

Re the tone member_42045 (poor me!) - setting a tone and topic guidelines are important parts of a moderators roll. That would be key to making sure posts are in line with the community expectations. We'll need to find a system of moderation to suit the size and scope of this forum.

Cheers,
Fraser
fraserc

Postby plum » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:17 am

member_42045 wrote:I

I would like to avoid the "poor me" posts.

totally agree!
plum

Postby plum » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 pm

just noticed a new 'tweak' to get on the forum - ie that it wasn't necessary to scroll down to find the 'click here' link nor to log in.
very nice!
thanks
plum
plum

Postby member_41389 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Hi

A simple set of questions relating to the forum: Why is it so hard to find? Why does it take clicking through three pages to actually see the forum? Why has the link for the forum recently been hidden on the Foundation Home page?

By contrast the ADSHG forum is accessed via a separate tab on the home page and uses the same log-in as the main website so one click and your at the main index - there's no hunting for access, no acceptable use policy to acknowledge and I suspect that is a significant part of why it is lively.
member_41389

Previous

Return to Pituitary Foundation