Forum

Forum

Postby icky » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:42 am

The forum has been running for a month or two now and, probably because of the low uptake, for whatever reason, amongst Foundation members, looks like it is not as active as it could and should be. It's probably down to a couple of entries per week at the moment. I know it's early days and involvement could pick up dramatically, but is it likely?
I don't know the reason for the demise of the earlier forum but I suspect there was some misuse, or somesuch, of it. Now that there is a small band of volunteer moderators to monitor the site, could the use of the forum be extended to any interested person on the web? All persons would, in the first instance, be required to join the forum. All input would have to go by a moderator before it goes on-line. Strict rules would control content and off-topic items be referred back to originator etc. Chat would be discouraged unless in a designated area, etc etc. It could be well controlled.
The present forum is good. I like it. There just isn't enough of it to keep people coming back at the moment.
Anyway. This is just an idea for discussion. I think it's worth considering.
icky

Re: Forum

Postby Bill » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:26 am

It might be worth thinking about.Must admit to being disappointed by the lack of posts on the Forum - it seems to be the same people posting all the time,probably about a dozen folk.So it might work better opening it up to a wider audience,but only if it can be done responsibly with proper monitoring.However this might be asking too much of the volunteer moderators,I don't know how much extra work this would involve
Bill

Postby Dee » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi

i know that the forum has not got as busy as expected, but the forum is run with the priviso that you have to be a member of the pituitary foundation to be able to access the forum, every member has been contacted about the new forum.

The other idea sounds wonderful, sadly in most charities wonderful ideas are thought up, and then the question "how are we going to pay for it" :( soon follows!

With kind regards

Dee
Dee

Postby icky » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:49 am

Yes, I understand, Dee. It would have been nice though. Perhaps when my numbers come up I'll sub the forum !! :roll:
icky

Postby chrisfa! » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:53 am

I've just entered the Forum for the first time. Commenced radiotherapy recently and do not like it all. I would like to share experiences with fellow pituitarians. Maybe I've lost some brain cells in the process but I'm finding it difficult to work out how to use this site (may explain reduced useage)?. Anyway here goes. I had a transphenoidal resection on a non-functioning adenoma in July 2008. At first tumour shrank but is now growing hence radiotherapy. I've only had two treatments (23 to go!!!) but headaches are severe already and I can "taste" the effects of the beams. Not pleasant. Seeing the consultant after the fourth session but thought other members may have been there done that. Look forward to hearing from anyone. Thanks for all your help with this excellent Foundation.
chrisfa!

Postby Pat » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi Chrisfa - welcome to the forum

I hope someone with personal radiotherapy experience comes forward to reply soon. Meanwhile, although i haven't had radiotherapy, I accompanied a friend a few times recently and she had similar effects you mention including weird taste and headaches.
I'm glad to say that the taste resumed to normal for her and she was given medication for the nausea she felt. if you are feeling really uncomfortable, I'm sure you can speak to the radiotherapy department before seeing the doctor.
As I say, I hope others who have been through radiotherapy will come along soon.
take care
Pat

Postby Bill » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:47 am

With regard to the previous post about the ammount of use the forum is getting.It seems tome that the ammount of posts are falling rapidly.There have been very few posts in the last month or so.So why is this happening? I think that rather than just having a forum we might have also benefitted from a chatroom.Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions on this? :(
Bill

Postby xCherryx » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:26 am

Dee wrote:Hi

i know that the forum has not got as busy as expected, but the forum is run with the priviso that you have to be a member of the pituitary foundation to be able to access the forum, every member has been contacted about the new forum.

The other idea sounds wonderful, sadly in most charities wonderful ideas are thought up, and then the question "how are we going to pay for it" :( soon follows!

With kind regards

Dee

As a relatively new member i dont know how the forum was before..i am a bit disappointed by it too to be honest. I am now wondering what ideas people have had and why the question "how are we going to pay for it" :( soon follows! ???

I have had a few dealing with forums over the years and some features such as chat rooms are a free feature that can be added, depends on the boards that are being used i guess...i would be prepared to find out if that would help as i am online a lot.

x
xCherryx

Return to Pituitary Foundation