No Hydrocortisone available for a while

No Hydrocortisone available for a while

Postby TCP » Sun May 12, 2019 4:37 pm

Hi All. Has anyone else been having issues getting their emergency injections from the pharmacist?

Did Cortardo stop supplying the liquid form two years ago and the powder form replaced it? Has Pfizer had problems sourcing the ingredients for Solu-Cortef? I've only ever used the Solu-Cortef and now I can't get it at all. Does anyone know what is happening? I only have one injection left and I've had to inject myself twice this year. Someone on a Facebook forum said their chemist stated that they won't get any more supplies until mid-June. Why isn't there big news about this?

Best wishes!
TCP

Re: No Hydrocortisone available for a while

Postby member_41389 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Hi
I understand that the situation is that there has been a restriction in supply, particularly of the single dose packs prescribed as "Hydrocortisone Sodium Succinate 100mg with solvent, for injection". That's what is trade marked as Solu-Cortef. The supply of 5 or 10 Vial packs has been affected because more were prescribed to cover the short-fall. I understand that the situation is now believed to have been resolved and the on-going delays are due to the supply chain catching up.
The ready mixed stuff, "Hydrocortisone Sodium Phosphate 100mg/1ml for injection", is now available but there was a problem for most of 2018 and that has also strained the supply chain. This is available but it seems that some people are getting supplies with expiry dates of November this year. This is because they rushed a big batch through to catch up after 6 months of no supply and the tail end is slowly working its way through.
If there is any uncertainty then suggest to your pharmacist that they ask the distributor called Alliance for your supply. They appear to be the favorite for the ready mixed stuff at least.
Take care
Tim
member_41389

Re: No Hydrocortisone available for a while

Postby TCP » Wed May 15, 2019 5:39 pm

member_41389 wrote:Hi
I understand that the situation is that there has been a restriction in supply, particularly of the single dose packs prescribed as "Hydrocortisone Sodium Succinate 100mg with solvent, for injection". That's what is trade marked as Solu-Cortef. The supply of 5 or 10 Vial packs has been affected because more were prescribed to cover the short-fall. I understand that the situation is now believed to have been resolved and the on-going delays are due to the supply chain catching up.
The ready mixed stuff, "Hydrocortisone Sodium Phosphate 100mg/1ml for injection", is now available but there was a problem for most of 2018 and that has also strained the supply chain. This is available but it seems that some people are getting supplies with expiry dates of November this year. This is because they rushed a big batch through to catch up after 6 months of no supply and the tail end is slowly working its way through.
If there is any uncertainty then suggest to your pharmacist that they ask the distributor called Alliance for your supply. They appear to be the favorite for the ready mixed stuff at least.
Take care
Tim

Hi Tim and thanks for the information. I have at last got the 5 vial liquid form with the November expiry date. That was a relief. I shall pass this information onto the surgery to keep them posted about the events that you have described. On Facebook forums, I have noted quite a few people have been very concerned. Again thanks for your reply and information.

To be honest I was scared as I keep getting infections and the GPs and pharmacists have not been that concerned or helpful. The younger doctors seem a little more clued up but it is the senior GPs who write most of the requested prescriptions.

Regards

Trish
TCP

Return to Adrenal insufficiency