Adrenal crisis

Adrenal crisis

Postby member_31784 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:42 am

Just recovering from an adrenal crisis brought on by noro virus. Unable to keep cortisol down so phoned 111 explained situation and they called me an ambulance that arrived very promptly. Para medics said they would take me to hospital to administer cortisol but on way there condition worsened as I was going in and out of consciousness so gave me the injection. A&E saw me immediately and started to rehydrate and gave me anti sickness. After speaking to my endo consultant and me managing to keep my midday dose down I was sent home. Am now on double cortisol for 48 hours, feeling very tired and washed out but much better. This was definitely NHS at its best.

Interestingly paramedic said they hadn’t seen cortisol crisis patient for six years but I was the second that week!

I do have emergency cortisol injection but I was too shaky to assemble it and my poor husband is needle phobic. Oh for an epi pen.
member_31784

Re: Adrenal crisis

Postby Carl » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:46 pm

Glad you are on the mend and although I've only had one crisis, it's something I wouldn't want to repeat. I had my crisis before I even knew about an emergency injection, but luckily I know my wife would happily jab me if she had to. Have you got the ready-mixed liquid hydrocortisone or the powder and water one you have to mix first (Solu-Cortef)? It is just that the former is a little less to assemble for your husband....but ultimately he will still have to get near the dreaded needle.

Very good that the ambulance crew had the HC injection on board, most do now, potentially a life saver.
Carl

Postby member_31784 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks, Carl.

On the mend but cannot believe how wiped out I feel, have slept for hours.

I have solu corf but think my husband would struggle whatever!
member_31784

Postby Mgh » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:51 pm

As well as the sickness you must also be suffering from the stress and shock of the situation so you need to allow yourself the space and time to recover properly.
Do you mind me asking if you were red flagged by the ambulance service and which area of the country you are in?
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Mgh

Postby member_31784 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:22 am

Hi MGH
I’m not red flagged but paramedics very quick to realise situation. Fortunately live in South London very close to good hospital where my endo is so when they saw me doctor had already read my notes.
Thanks for the good wishes.
member_31784

Postby plum » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm

it's great to read a positive story.
wishing you a good recovery
plum
plum

Postby member_31784 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:05 pm

Thanks Plum.
member_31784

Postby KitKat » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Hello MGH,
Please London Ambulance looked after you properly. That's reassuring for the rest of us.
My rule of thumb is that I have 20 minutes to get it in my leg after first vomit. After that, like you, I rapidly go downhill and become very cold, shaky hands, sleepy and from there, too weak to sit up.
From experience, I know it is a countdown to get the injection prepared and in my leg to keep me safe, while I still feel I "don't really need it", because it is such a sudden collapse when it hits at around +30 minutes.
With practice, on two recent occasions I have got in my leg 5 minutes before throwing up. I still become cold and sleepy about 30 minutes later, but can retreat to bed with the knowledge I will be safe for the next 5 hours before I need to think about whether to call for an ambulance. So far, it has been more at the food poisoning end than norovirus with a temperature, so I have been able to sleep it off and just check in with a GP or nurse the next day.
Best
KiKat
KitKat

Postby Mgh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:13 am

Moved post to Perspectives heading!
Mgh

Return to Adrenal insufficiency