life expectancy

Please join the discussion if you wish to share about the pituitary condition Acromegaly

Re: life expectancy

Postby member_41389 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 pm

Hi Maria
I asked Wiebke Arlt via twitter if they looked at secondary (esp pituitary) patients in a recent paper on likelihood of primary AI people needing antibiotics from their GP, they excluded almost all co-morbidities to reach conclusions. Her reply was that unlikely to get covered because they are too diverse to be able to fit statistics round. Hence only simplistic studies get done; for example there is apparently no good science on the best treatment for central hypothyroidism and so the theme is if its good enough for 80% of primaries LT4 must be good enough for them as well.
Tim
member_41389

Postby Mgh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Tim, just as I thought, too many variables to control if designing research on pituitary patients and as you say the studies also exclude research subjects who have comorbidities. Obviously nowadays it is very important that there are an adequate number of subjects to ensure the outcomes are statistically significant. It is interesting though that the conclusions are usually applied across the board. I can't recall on what research our timing and quantity hydrocortisone dosing is based!

I don't know if this narrow focus of research is new or if there were more studies done on pituitary patients in the past and if so if the findings are now considered robust.
Maria
Mgh

Postby member_41389 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Hi
The only useful stuff on dose timing I've seen is by Prof. Hindmarsh at GOSH, for example http://www.cahisus.co.uk/pdf/CIRCADIAN%20DOSING%20ADDISON'S.pdf. There's a good bit of other stuff on the CAHisus website but it's arranged in a way that you just have to look at what's in each story in turn. A lot is related to CAH and paediatrics but there is a lot of good general stuff as well. Unfortunately Prof. Hindmarsh doesn't appear to publish much with the names I recognise from the AI community. The rumours I heard suggest that he's thought a bit difficult to collaborate with or maybe odd because his patients seem to regard him very highly see https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/News/Pages/UCLHprofessorcrownedBritainshealthhero.aspx, that would make him anathema to most endocrinologists!
Tim
member_41389

Previous

Return to Acromegaly