statins

Please join the discussion if you wish to share about the pituitary condition Acromegaly

statins

Postby plum » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:52 pm

hi

i wondered if anyone else has been put on statins to control cholesterol levels? and if so how ar you getting on with them?

at my latest endocrine appointment this was proposed as a solution to my high cholesterol levels. and when i offered lifestyle changes as an alternative i was told that that would be insufficient.

thanks

plum
plum

Re: statins

Postby stevea » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:33 am

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes 14 months ago and put on simvastatin to control cholesterol. 12 months on i realised that leg pain and muscle weakness in my legs could be from the statin ( a known side effect) so i stopped taking them.the pains disappeared almost overnight. 3 weeks later i went for my annual review. All my blood checks were ok except cholesterol which had almost doubled. After explaining why I had stopped taking the statins (and being told off for not reporting it sooner) i have changed to amvirastatin which now seems ok
stevea

Re: statins

Postby plum » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:48 pm

hi

yes i read that they can cause muscle pains.
i'm glad that you managed to find one that suits you better.

apparently some of them are not compatible with grapefruits... and cause hair loss.
well i've already lost half my hair thanks to the lanreotide and i enjoy eating grapefruits ....

good luck with the next blood test and hope that you 'pass'.

plum
plum

Return to Acromegaly