Deferred lanreotide

Please join the discussion if you wish to share about the pituitary condition Acromegaly

Deferred lanreotide

Postby plum » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:47 pm

Hi

I posted elsewhere but it was hidden within a different thread so it got lost. Apologies.

Has anyone else had their lanreotide deferred ?
And is there information on how long it can be safely deferred before we go badly downhill ?
The hospital offered me 2 options. Defer until who knows when or inject myself. Lol. With a needle THAT size?

I know that the injection doesn't have to be at exactly 28 days and that there is some flexibility. But how much ?

I chose to defer... but this COVID 19 emergency could last a very long time hence my question.
Or... is there another option which I could try ?

Thank you and keep well

Plum
plum

Re: Deferred lanreotide

Postby member_41389 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi
I've not had much experience (when I swapped from Lanreotide to Octreotide about 15 months ago there was a wait of about 3 months when I didn;t get an injection and I've observed no impact from that.) but I was looking at length of action of Lanreotide and came across https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&ved=2ahUKEwj2xpmS_sLoAhXBolwKHde0CqkQFjAEegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.accessdata.fda.gov%2Fdrugsatfda_docs%2Flabel%2F2013%2F022074s006lbl.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1eXhKUTT4RWv8Wjz6i7-A7 which says that Lanreotide LAR halflife is 23 to 30 days. Basically you normally get a repeat injection when your level has dropped to about the peak (the article gives lots of numbers about this as well for the different doses) so after two months you'd be at a quarter, 3 months down to an eighth.
The question of safety is harder since acromegaly is insidious but generally very slow advancing (or at least for me).
Take care of yourself and don't be too concerned at the moment.
Tim
member_41389

Re: Deferred lanreotide

Postby plum » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm

Hi Tim
Thanks for replying.
I'll check out the link.
I think that the hardest part is managing family concern and worry rather than myself. .
I've noticed worsening even with lanreotide so I guess no injection would mean just a bit faster.
But yes as you say the impact is slow.
Let's see
Thanks again and take care
Plum
plum

Return to Acromegaly