EMERGENCY CORTISOL KITS.

Please join the discussion to shareabout Craniopharyngioma

EMERGENCY CORTISOL KITS.

Postby peteromalley » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:57 am

AS A PATIENT FOR 45 YEARS, RECENTLY I HAD OCCASION TO USE MY EMERGENCY CORTISOL KIT. (SOLU-CORTEF 100MG iu)
I WAS GOING INTO SHOCK. I CUT MY FINGER ENDS ON THE GLASS PHILE WHEN I OPENED IT. I STRUGGLED WITH MIXING OF THE TWO COMPONENTS. I HURT MYSELF STABBING MYSELF WITH THE NEEDLE.
UPON RECOVERING OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS, I REMEMBERED HOW DREADFUL THIS OLD FASHIONED KIT IS. IT IS THE SAME AS THE KIT USED OVER 40 YEARS AGO!
A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, I HAD TO CALL PARAMEDICS OUT, AS I WAS SO ILL AND LIVE ALONE. THEY DECIDED I NEEDED MY EMERGENCY INJECTION. WHEN THEY SAW "THE KIT", THEY LAUGHED. THEY COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT THIS KIND OF KIT WAS STILL GIVEN TO PATIENTS TO USE, AT A TIME WHEN THEY WE'RE GOING INTO SHOCK!
AS A RESULT. THIS TIME I HAVE MADE A COMPLAINT TO THE COMPANY WHO PRODUCE THIS KIT. TELLING THEM THE ISSUES I HAVE WITH IT'S USE. ASKING THEM TO PROVIDE A BETTER WAY OF DELIVERING CORTISOL IN A KIT THAT BEFITS THE 21ST CENTURY.
THE COMPANY WERE NOT EASY TO CONTACT. BY MAKING IT IN THE FORM OF A COMPLAINT, THEY ACTUALLY LISTENED AND TOOK NOTES. I HOPE TO HAVE A RESPONSE FROM THEM. WHEN I DO, I WILL LET YOU KNOW.
P
peteromalley

Re: EMERGENCY CORTISOL KITS.

Postby Mgh » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Peter, sorry to hear about what you have been through. Well done for getting in touch with the company. My fear is that they might decide to discontinue provision rather than trying to find a better solution.
The vials of ready mixed Efocortesol are difficult enough for a patient going into crisis to draw-up and administer but I know I would find having to mix the Solu Cortef impossible. I know how shaky I get.
Have you tried the Efocortesol to see if it would be a bit easier for you? M
Mgh

Re: EMERGENCY CORTISOL KITS.

Postby member_41389 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:56 pm

Hi
There are some benefits to the powder form which seem to make them preferred in hospitals however you're right that the ready mixed is better for a patient to use. In fact the NICE guidance https://cks.nice.org.uk/addisons-disease#!scenario about 2/3rds way down page says the powder may not be suitable!
It does have one possible advantage. The liquid, hydrocortisone sodium phosphate, has a maximum shell life of 2 yars and may be less stable if exposed to temperatures above 25C.
There is a form of the powder which comes in a combined vial which contains the liquid (called Act-o-vial) which you use by pressing down on a plunger to release the liquid, shake and then draw up the injection. Apparently not licenced in the UK because it contains a preservative which the MHRA list as potentially hazardous, it is available in most of the rest of the world.
Tim
member_41389

Return to Craniopharyngioma