What symptoms to watch for?

What symptoms to watch for?

Postby Flower » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:24 pm

Hi,

I was finally diagnosed with Cushing's disease in 2002 after two years of tests and had surgery to remove my tumour the same year. Initially I was on hydrocortisone for about five months. Since then, the only replacement treatment I have required has been growth hormone. I have had a number of insulin stress tests in the intervening years, with the last one about 18 months ago, which indicated I did not require hydrocortisone.

Recently I have been under considerable stress and have found I am falling asleep for a few hours each evening and then having broken sleep during the night. On Friday after leaving work I called at my mum's house and became unwell very suddenly. The symptoms were severe dizziness, pressure in my head, which was followed by sudden vomiting (sorry). After a few minutes I managed to walk very unsteadily to my car to drive the short distance home where I again was unwell. Two days later I still feel nauseous and shaky. I just don't feel right and am unsure what is wrong, but do not want to bother my GP. I don't usually succumb to anything doing the rounds, like stomach bugs.

Does anyone know what symptoms to look out for when the body is no longer producing sufficient hydrocortisone and treatment becomes essential? Would this be sudden or gradual onset?

Any opinions would be welcome.
Flower

Re: What symptoms to watch for?

Postby plum » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:55 am

hi Flower

not sure what the symptoms are but perhaps a quick look at the addinson's infomation on this site or the society of endocrinology might help. also, there is an addinson's society website which may have information.

meanwhile whenever i say that i don't want to trouble my GP i get told that that is what they are there for. please go and see him/her: it may be something completely treatable that they can deal with quickly. it's really not nice to feel as though you are always moaning and complaining but it's better to go.

good luck and best wishes and do let us know what happens.
Plum
plum

Postby Pat » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:18 am

Does anyone know what symptoms to look out for when the body is no longer producing sufficient hydrocortisone and treatment becomes essential? Would this be sudden or gradual onset?

Hi Flower
the symptoms of lack of cortisol include feeling dizzy/light headed, confused, low blood pressure, feeling sweaty, tired and generally unwell.
These symptoms could be apparent daily depending on cortisol levels of the individual.
As Plum suggests, seeing your GP is a good idea and perhaps a blood test will help explain things.
take care

Pat
Pat

Postby sillyyak » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:27 am

Pat, every one of those symptoms you have just listed, I have. I am going for my second endocrine appt tomorrow and hopefully they can stop this happening. I already have Coeliac Disease which is an auto immune condition. I am wondering how much longer I can carry on feeling this dizzy, nauseus etc. I was trying to describe the sensation to my partner. It's like being hit around the head with a baseball bat but without the pain. Just the disorientation, nausea, confuson, heavy headed feeling. Hoping tomorrow's appt will give me a diagnosis of something I can,"work with".
sillyyak

Return to Cushing's Disease