Cushings. Taking iron pills which give diarrhea do I have t.

Cushings. Taking iron pills which give diarrhea do I have t.

Postby member_4517 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Hi. I have had cushings for past 20 years+ . Now my iron is too low and I am taking Ferrous Fumarate. Unfortunately it gives me bad diarrhea every morning. Do I have to double up on my hydrocortisone every day for 3 or 4 months while iron levels go up? I would appreciate advice. Thank you. Ingrid
member_4517

Re: Cushings. Taking iron pills which give diarrhea do I have t.

Postby Pat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

Hi, I asked Holly our endocrine nurse for her advice - she says:

I would ask her GP if there is an alternative she can take, that does not give her the side effects. If there is no alternative (I’m pretty sure there is), then is there something to prevent the diarrhoea happening. It is a known side effect, although not common. I would do this immediately as having diarrhoea regularly for long periods could lead to adrenal crisis, which in my mind is the priority to prevent.

If the diarrhoea persists, immediately taking an extra dose after the episode of diarrhoea is best. With only this dose being additional. How long after the morning dose of hydrocortisone is the diarrhoea happening? It may be that she doesn’t need additional tablets at all and having her cortisol checked on a couple of occasions, after the diarrhoea, may show her levels are adequate. This would need to be managed by her endocrinologist too though, not just GP.

With all adrenal insufficiency patients, we need to look at what works for individuals. Firstly, though would be to try preventing the diarrhoea happening in the first place.

thanks
Pat

Re: Cushings. Taking iron pills which give diarrhea do I have t.

Postby member_4517 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Pat. Thank you for your helpful reply and I will go to see my gp this week. I’ll also ask if it could be the beta blockers I’ve also now been put on, and ask for my cortisol to be checked. Thank you and Holly so much, much appreciated.
Ingrid.
member_4517

Return to Cushing's Disease