DI patient - story in media

DI patient - story in media

Postby Pat » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:57 am

If you are concerned about the recent tragic story in the media of the gentleman who died of dehydration, please be reassured that this is a rare occurrence in our experience.
We will have letters of DI awareness you can download shortly (from website) to campaign to your local hospitals etc and in September we will have available our brand new DI Patient Care Card; this card will explain about appropriate treatment and what DI is.
We suggest that if you have to have in-hospital care, to keep your DI medication with you at all times; a medical talisman is helpful with the wording Diabetes Insipidus on it - plus of course the DI Care Card.
If anyone wants to tlak about this with me, I'm happy to hear from you - pat@pituitary.org.uk or 0117 370 1315
As a fellow DI patient, I was gutted to hear about this and we are doing all that we can to raise needed awareness and education.
Pat
Pat

Re: DI patient - story in media

Postby member_31784 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:33 am

Hi Pat

I think the coverage in the media has been terrible. I emailed the BBC to complain about using term "diabetes medication" rather than "diabetes insipidus" medication and then read on the ITV website that "Mr Gorny was suffering from diabetes insipidus, a condition which caused him to be aggressive towards nurses", words fail me.

Actually I am a St George's patient and was startled to find out this had happened there as my endo team are great, I see it appears they weren't notified.

Thanks for taking this up.

Karen
member_31784

Postby Tracey » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:49 pm

I get fed up with people thinking DI is diabetes type 1 or 2
Tracey

Postby Rubysox12 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:35 pm

HI this is my first time on this forum, I was diagnoised in 2010 with Di, i just wanted to comment on pats post regarding the media story, this has shocked me to the core. Having recently been in hospital for surgery and i was alone most of the time, due to visting hours. During this time i felt very alone and frustrated by the doctors/nurses lack of understanding of the DI condition. I seemed to be talking to a wall most of the time, i lost count how many times they wanted to test my blood sugar, and feed me carbs :cry: . All i wanted was a drink of water, result after 3 days i discharged myself feeling very wary of being admitted to hospital in the future. I worry if anything happens to me whist i am out and about and i required an ambulace for example, they would not understand my medical braclet, as in the past its been ignored and they have proceded to check my blood sugar. Talk about frustration, i am all for more awareness of this condition.
Rubysox12

Return to Diabetes Insipidus