Illness affects metabolism of DDAVP (?)

Re: Illness affects metabolism of DDAVP (?)

Postby Coco » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks Pat,

The problem I have is not with a hangover the next day but that I cannot seem to drink more than one drink before immediately feeling very ill. I can't really drink water between as I seem to really struggle with drinking volumes of fluid.

This only seems to have occured since developing DI so I have assumed it is the connection but it might be something else.

It's probably better for me anyway
Coco

Postby Pat » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:25 am

The fine balance of not overloading with fluids whilst taking desmo is important; a note from a DI talk in a 1999 conference-
Having too little sodium in the blood (hyponatraemia) can be dangerous. The patient will feel very ill. Hyponatraemia can be caused by taking too much DDAVP, or by drinking more than usual whilst taking the same amount of DDAVP.Comments followed from the audiencei.If going out for the evening at the pub, don't take DDAVP until all the fluids consumed have been passed out in urine, to avoid hyponatraemia.

As you say, it might be something else as you struggle to drink volumes of fluid.

All the best for the New Year
Pat

Postby plum » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:03 pm

Hello

just joining in this conversation a bit late. in december i was fresh out of surgery and a small xmas sip of wine went straight up and clutched my brain extremely painfully. i had a sip last night and it seemed ok...so maybe the wound has healed and i could try again?

it does feel as though punishment in spade loads is being heaped upon us; even a simple social drink is turned into a mine field that needs 'handling'!
plum

Postby NickiB56 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:07 pm

I sometimes find that the desmospray isn't as efficient :D & I need more, I also have the DDAVP Melts on my repeat prescription so I can use them as and when, they are fast working & just go under tongue, initially my pharmacy had difficulty obtaining them as when the exchange rates are favourable the manufacturer sells them abroad for a better price & so there was a UK shortage, haven't had any difficulty getting them for the last couple of months though.
NickiB56

Postby Anna » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi, I find alcohol makes my diabetes insipidus much worse. I get the extreme thirst and regular trips to the loo quite soon after drinking (with just 1 glass of wine too!), as well as feeling faint and generally unwell. I rarely drink alcohol because of this.

What I eat also makes a difference - salty food mostly. I tend to adjust my desmopressin dose if the need arises. The doctors are happy for me to do this, as I've had the condition for over 25yrs they say I probably know more than them!
Anna

Postby Shelley » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 am

Coco wrote:Does anyone else on desmopressin have a problem consuming alcohol? I've been on desmopressin for 6 months since my surgery and have not been able to drink more than 2 alcoholic drinks (without feeling VERY ill) since?

Do other people have this problem or is it possible to still drink on desmopressin? At the risk of sounding like a bit of an alkie, I really do miss getting a little squiffy from time to time :(

Hi,
I have always drank alcohol like a person without DI,I have had no problems whatsoever.Perhaps as the same with most things,Everyone is different.
Shelley

Postby member_6464 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Hi Shelley.

As Pat suggest, I drink water after I'm finished drinking alcohol.
Seems to help with little problem the following morning.

After tumour was removed, I asked my GP if I could drink alcohol
and his advice was had I could but not to be too sore on it.

John
member_6464

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:22 am

I've found that wine, around 10%, doesn't cause too much of a problem

pat
Pat

Previous

Return to Diabetes Insipidus