GH Trial - half way through

GH Trial - half way through

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:25 am

Hi,
I've been on GH for about 5 months now (out of the 9 months trial) and wonder if my progress (or lack of) is anything like anyone else has experienced?
I've had a slight increase in energy levels, but am still very tired for a lot of the day - the main difference is that I don't always need a sleep in the afternoon. Some of my muscle pains have lessened too.
But, I still have major concentration & cognition problems, have no stamina, am physically weak, rubbish coordination etc etc. I also have joint pain (esp in my legs) and seem to be developing pains in my wrists & hands with pretty much any activity.
Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Am I a 'normal' GH patient ?!??! (I've lymphocitic hypophisitis)
FYI my GH levels were OK at the last check, on 0.2, which seems odd as I'm not feeling as well as I'd have liked. I'm back at the clinic in a week's time for another check.
Thanks for any comments
Sandy
Sandy

Re: GH Trial - half way through

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Sandy
You cheered me up no end with your post. I have been on GH for around 10 months now and am still suffering badly with lack of energy/fatigue,concentration problems/poor memory and for the 4 weeks joint pains in my hands,hips,knees and most painful in my ankles.The pain in my ankles feels like a sprained ankle. I am getting bloods done at my GPs next week over this problem. I have Panhypopituiarism and was told by my Endo at my last visit that despite not seeming to notice any improvement since starting GH I would still be kept on it due to the fact I'm not producing any at all.I think I am correct in saying that GH hasn't been licensed for very long in this country for adults.Its good to know that its not just me suffering with these problems. :)
Bill

Postby Sandy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Bill,
And thanks for your post too, I'm clearly in good company!
My appt has been moved forward to tomorrow (I rang to see if there were any cancellations, and struck lucky - that never happens to me!) so I'll get back to you with whatever my endo team say. On advice from one of the phone buddies, I've written down everything that's bothering me currently and I'm going to push for some answers & hopefully more effective treatment.
I've been off work for over 10 months now & am feeling some pressure from my employer as to whether I'll ever be back - at the mo, I know I'm not capable of work of any sort, let alone complex thinking, running meetings & business travel (you can imagine that's pretty depressing).
Are you working? If so, how do you cope?
Take care
S
Sandy

Postby Bill » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi Sandy
No I'm not working just now.Hard to imagine being able to work with the way I'm feeling just now.I get tired very easily sometimes after only walking 50 or 100 yards.I nearly always need a nap in the afternoon.Must admit it can leave me feeling pretty depressed a lot of the time (its surprising how many Pituitary patients also suffer from depression)I suppose in an ideal world I could work from home doing just an hour or two when I felt up to it - but unfortunately this is not an ideal world or an ideal situation to be in.I must admit I'm beginning to wonder if I'm ever going to get back to "normal".
cheers
Bill :)
Bill

Postby Pat » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Hi Bill
Just a suggestion to have your other hormone levels checked, particularly thyroid to see if any adjustments need to be made from starting GH.
Don't be too despondent about lack of benefits felt as (depending on individuals) it could be early days for you.

take care
Pat

Postby Bill » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:44 pm

Hi Pat
My hormone levels were done 4 weeks ago,I get them done every 12 weeks at my Endocrine unit.As far as I'm aware the only thing they picked up from my bloods were that my blood/sugar level was high.I'm getting more bloods done by my GP next week so hopefully this will shed a bit of light on the matter.
Bill

Return to Growth Hormone