Growth hormone and thyroxine

Growth hormone and thyroxine

Postby Mgh » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:57 pm

Perhaps this has been discussed previously but I can't find any reference to it. Has anyone any information or experience about the effects of GH on the action of levothyroxine? I think in my case the GH may be interfering with the good effects that thyroxine had on bowel motility etc. Look forward to hearing any comments. Thank you all; I have learned so much from the Foundation and Forum which makes it easier to negotiate this panhypopituitary journey.
Mgh

Re: Growth hormone and thyroxine

Postby Pat » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:07 pm

It is reasonable to have your thyroid levels checked prior to and when taking GH as your thyroid dose may need to be adjusted.
Pat

Postby Mgh » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Pat, thank you for your reply. I have found one research paper from Oxford which gives an explanation for what happens. It is such a complex web of interactions which even in the best of health would be difficult to understand and to follow up! I am trying to remain determined to get to a better place eventually and to deal with each new problem as it comes up. Not always easy so every bit of support is much appreciated.
Mgh

Postby Pat » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:51 am

My better place came when my growth hormone started to work and my thyroxine dose was increased slightly.
I took photos to my endo of who I used to be 'before pituitary' and I'm sure they helped.
Fine tuning of pituitary hormones is vital, as in the text taken from an article in a previous Pituitary Life magazine:
Deficiencies of thyroid stimulating hormones, gonadotrophins and growth hormone also tend to promote weight gain. Multiple pituitary hormone deficiencies, especially if inadequately replaced, or if steroid replacement doses are too high, can certainly lead to considerable weight gain. Therefore, it is well for pituitary patients and their endocrinologists to make sure that hormone replacement is as fine tuned as well as possible.
Pat

Return to Growth Hormone