Growth Hormone

Growth Hormone

Postby MisterR » Sat May 12, 2012 11:52 am

Hi all

I thought to start a brand new topic on here as all the others relating to GH seem somewhat out of date.

I am a brand new on here! I am just about to start on Growth Hormone and wanted to hear some stories/personal experiences from you guys. From what I have read on here I shouldn't be getting too excited about GH, a lot of people are saying that its not having much affect on their life! I only seem to be seeing negative feedback, I am looking for hope I was so much looking forward to starting the treatment but don't want to be too disappointed! I just want to know what to expect I guess, I am just hoping I start to feel better. I currently started on Hydrocortisone and actually feel worst, not sure how this is possible but I do, I wasn't hoping for miracles but I just didn't expect it to make me feel worst than I already do. I am just hoping it will all sort itself out when I get the GH

How did you feel (symptoms) before you started your treatment of Growth Hormone? How long did it take to work? What have you seen improve the most?

It will be great to hear from you.

Thanks.
MisterR

Re: Growth Hormone

Postby member_31784 » Sun May 13, 2012 11:04 am

Hi Mister R

I am very positive about growth hormone. I first noticed symptons of deficiency about 9 months after my first op for a tumour (2005) I was already on hydrocortisone and thyroxine, I was tired, muscle weakness and getting very depressed and interestingly reclusive - just didn't want to be around people and particularly crowds, not at all my "normal" self. I saw the GP who suggested I ring my endo nurse, when I explained my feelings she immediately said I think you are GH deficient and arranged an appointment and tests. Sure enough I was and started GH about six weeks later. The effect wasn't immediate but after a month I suddenly realised I was feeling less fatiqued and more importantly my mental state was different. When i did the life style questionnaire three months later there was a marked difference in response.

I'm currently on GH0.3mg a day, hydrocortisone,tyroxine,HRT, and desmospray quiet a cocktail. Its not always brilliant and fatique is always a problem BUT I'd much rather be on it than not.

Cheers Kare
member_31784

Postby plum » Sun May 13, 2012 7:59 pm

HI

I am learning that GH is all very complex.
For example I have excess GH and yet for some strange reason I seem to share the symptoms of people with not enough: fatigue, depression, 'empty muscles', etc. So what is going on? and if GH is linked to 'well being' as the books state, then how come I haven't been skipping about like a frisky lamb for the past few years?

good luck all !

plum
plum

Postby MisterR » Sun May 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Hiya

Thanks for the replays, its nice to know these forums are active!

Kare you have filled me with a bit of hope I have to say on your positivity on GH!

My hypopitiutarism is due to a mild head injury, I am partially ACTH deficient and severely deficient in GH.

I can relate to the crowds, depression and fatigue, for me I just feel so crap, like genrally unwell and have done for nearly 10 years. I got a diagnosis a few months ago, finally!
I feel that all the above symptoms are because I feel so ill, its so hard to describe!

The hydrocortisone that I am on has definitely made me feel a lot worst than I did, I feel so ill now its untrue, I am just hoping the GH will sort everything out!

I just don't understand whats going on with my body, feel really weird like all of the time, its so annoying, I am just putting it down to ultra fatigue but I just carry on regardless and its making me so dizzy, headaches etc!!

Plum, I hear what you are saying re too much GH, you should be like a super human or something! Hopefully you will feel a bit better!

Does anyone have a constant throb in the middle of their head, painful temples, strained eyes, feeling of squashed and pressure in the head!

Yes I have a spare tyre too (not in my boot) that is definitely to do with the GH but why do I feel all these other symptoms and why have they been intensified since starting the HC?

Hope some one can shed a bit of light!
MisterR

Postby plum » Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm

re head throb etc: how's your blood pressure?
just a thought.
cortisol is linked to that i think so maybe that has something to do with some of how you are feeling?
i personally feel no different on or off the hydrocortisone so i have a hard time taking it. the only thing i noticed when i reduced my dose was that i felt thirsty. but it was a strange thirst: not just where you can have a drink and get rid of it. it was more fundamental than that. and took about a week or so to disappear once i went back onto the hydrocortisone dose that i was meant to be on.
good luck
plum
plum

Postby buddyboy » Mon May 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi MisterR

Also see my fairly recent post on the "Starting on Growth Hormone" thread, but this is an update to that. I have been on growth hormone for about 6 weeks now, and I do feel a little improved. I am still on the initial dose of 0.2mg/day, and this may get upped soon. Although I still have many days when I feel exhausted, I have had days where I have felt more energised and more positive than I ever felt before I started on GH. My endocrinologist said I should feel I have more energy taking GH, and he is right - I do seem to. I guess this doesn't work for everyone though, and as I've seen on many other threads and talking to other patients with hypopituitarism, getting the balance of all the medications right, can take a long time (up to 2 years?).
Good luck - hope it gives you an improvement
buddyboy

Postby MisterR » Thu May 17, 2012 8:37 am

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies. Blood pressure is ok, yeah it just feels like my symptoms have intensified somewhat since starting on the HC, like there is not enough blood or oxygen getting to my brain, also my brain feels as though its being squashed, it feels so exhausted and I get headaches and pains subtle pains in my head. It makes sense plum re the cortisol, I was hoping it would sort it out, its also like there is too much insulin or not enough in my head if thats actually possible, sorry its so hard to express how I am feeling, but it feels like I am about 200 years old! Does GH effect the liver and insulin levels? I am just hoping all my symptoms are more related to the GH deficiency. I know what you mean about the HC, I would prefer not to take it, I could live with it I guess if it had no impact and I had to take but to fell worst is a nightmare. I hear what you are saying though, if its not giving you any benefit why be dependent on it?!
I tried reducing and upping dose and feel no better what so ever!! Good luck Plum!

Thanks too Buddyboy, I checked your posts out. Thats great that you have seen an improvement, did you get headaches before taking it and did you ever feel head pressure? All anybody seem to say is they were tired and depressed, I feel physically ill too with headaches?!
Yes hopefully they will up it soon and you will feel even more benefits from it!
Wont be long before I get it now I think so i will soon find out but realise I need to be patient, wow 2 years is a long time though but I guess it all takes time as you say. Good Luck with the increase in GH dose.
MisterR

Postby buddyboy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:28 pm

Hi MisterR
I believe headaches is a common complaint for those with Hypopituitarism, but I've not really had these. Maybe I am lucky because I think my condition was discovered at a pretty early stage (I had an MRI scan and some blood tests for a completely different reason, and my hypopituitarism was discovered as a result of that). What I HAVE had, is a "congested head" sensation, and associated impaired hearing, which I have not seen anyone else complain about specifically. I do actually have some kind of congestion, as some two years ago (at the beginning of all of this) I had blocked Eustacian tubes, which preceeded the diagnosis. The congestion has subsided but not completely disappeared. I also have some dizziness, but this seems to be intermittant, and associated with some exercises (like vigorous walking).
I have been on the growth hormone for about 10 weeks now, and still feel somewhat improved, but I am still having a few problems with a couple of slightly painful elbows, (which are definitely attributable to the growth hormone treatment). This joint/muscle side effect is supposed to subside, but hasn't yet. The last blood test showed I now have a reasonable level of growth hormone (IGF-1), and the endocrinologist is keeping my injection levels at 0.2mg/day, the same as the starting dose.
Hope things are improved for you now :)
buddyboy

Postby emer » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:40 pm

plum wrote:I am learning that GH is all very complex.
For example I have excess GH and yet for some strange reason I seem to share the symptoms of people with not enough: fatigue, depression, 'empty muscles', etc. So what is going on? and if GH is linked to 'well being' as the books state, then how come I haven't been skipping about like a frisky lamb for the past few years?

I think it's the same with all hormone really - for instance, because of my TSH producing pituitary tumour, I had hyperthyroidism, which is typically associated with weight loss. However, in fact because the excess thyroid hormone increased my appetite as well as my metabolism, I gained weight, which is supposedly a symptom of hypOthyroidism. Whether you've got too much or too little of a hormone, the symptoms can be surprisingly similar...
emer

Postby buddyboy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:52 am

Update:
I've been on Growth Hormone (Genotropin) for about 6 months now, and in my case it has made a noticeable difference. I have improved energy levels, and my general "quality of life" (as defined in the AGHDA Questionnaire elsewhere on the Pituitary.org website) has also improved (even though I had a temporary dip in the summer). If you are suffering from some of the issues listed in the questionnaire, then push to get this prescribed for you - it might just help a bit....
buddyboy

Next

Return to Growth Hormone