Does growth hormone make you have more energy?

Does growth hormone make you have more energy?

Postby member_37049 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi

I had a craniopharyngioma removed about 19 years ago and was on growth hormone up to being 20 and now 22 years old. I had to come off it due to other problems which meant I had to stop having it. I have never felt well and haven't been able to lose weight (just gained). Could this be to do with not having growth hormone? My endocrinologist has different views and doesn't think it makes a huge difference from not having it.

Any information would be very much appreciated.

Thank you
member_37049

Re: Does growth hormone make you have more energy?

Postby member_38020 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:53 am

This is very interesting. A number of endocrinologists have the "feeling" that growth hormone should be limited to children. There is ample evidence in the journals that lack of growth hormone in an adult can be damaging to health. However, the UK's NICE organization states that your level in a test has to be below a certain number and then to receive hGH you have to fill out a questionnaire which mainly deals with the psychological effects of hGH deprivation. If you don't tick the right boxes, you don't get it. I've also heard endocrinologists mutter about the "placebo" effect of taking it along with grumbles about the cost. If your levels are below the level in the NICE guidelines, you should have been given the questionnaire to fill out. If you qualified on points, you should have been offered it. use a computer search engine to read the NICE Guidelines for Growth Hormone for Adults. I take hGH and also testosterone. They individually make a big difference to me.
member_38020

Postby Bill » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:41 am

I was put on GH as I have Panhypopituitarism but after being on it for a couple of years was taken off it due to the fact that I felt no noticeable improvement in the way I felt. I was pretty disappointed as I had heard that it had made a considerable difference to some people.
Bill

Postby Anna » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:12 pm

Apologies for delayed reply, I've not been on here for a while.
I had a craniopharyngioma removed 31 years ago, eek!! I've been on growth hormone for a while but did stop taking it for a short period of time. Sadly it has not helped me lose weight and not sure about energy levels either but it has definitely helped with strength and improved mood. I didn't realise it helped with these things until I came off it and struggled to carry shopping etc.
However everyone seems to have different experiences, hence the NICE guidelines as mentioned above.
Anna

Return to Growth Hormone