What is desmomelt? Is it better than desmospray?

What is desmomelt? Is it better than desmospray?

Postby member_32969 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:04 pm

I have always used desmospray or ddavp before that. However I have heard desmomelt being mentioned on here is it better would you reccomend it?
member_32969

Re: What is desmomelt? Is it better than desmospray?

Postby NickiB56 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi I use the desmomelts & the spray, I alternate them, the melts are really good, put under your tongue & they dissolve quickly & work pretty much instantly, sometimes my pharmacy have trouble getting the melts though apparently when the exchange rates are favouable the manufacturers sell them abroad as they can get more for them which then causes a UK shortage. Hope this helps Nicki :D
NickiB56

Postby david » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:14 pm

member_32969 wrote:I have always used desmospray or ddavp before that. However I have heard desmomelt being mentioned on here is it better would you reccomend it?

I too have used desmomelt as well as desmospray and found it convenient and successful.The main benefit I have found is that is available if necessary in lower doses.. Whereas with desmospray you must take the pre-measured dose,If only a lesser dose is required from time to time or all the time one can use a smaller dose with an appropriate desmomelt,as you can with DDAVP
However I understand desmomelt is considerably more expensive than the others,but I do not know how important drug dosts are in relation to doctors’budgets.
Maybe someone who is more ‘in the know’ about this could give us the benefit of their knowledge.
david

Postby Pat » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:08 pm

I have used DDAVP Intranasal solution for many years as you have accurate control of the dose you need and it works quickly to relieve symptoms. I also have DDAVP Melts as a back up for when I'm away from home; these work quickly and very convenient to take.
There might well be cost considerations for DI products but I feel that individual patients will know (and could discuss the various options with their doctor) what works best for them to allow them to balance their DI best and live their lives.

Pat
Pat

Postby member_32969 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:44 pm

I thought of this post the other day. Im sticking with desmospray as its what Ive always had with normally no problems at all. I did try desmotabs for a while but it just didnt work very well for me. I do however keep a packet of desmotabs in the cupboard in case I have a bad cold as it is better than nothing! I posted this though cos I hadnt heard of desmomelts before but I didnt notice the replies because I havent been on the forum for awhile. However last week my 7 year old who doesnt have di was prescribed desmomelts for his bedwetting! The leaflet says its for eneuresis (bedwetting) and doesnt mention di at all!
member_32969

Postby Pat » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:54 pm

Desmomelts are prescribed for eneuresis and DDAVPmelts are for DI; they are in different packs, with a patient information leaflet to suit each condition.
Pat

Postby member_32969 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 pm

Is the ddavp melts stronger than the desmomelts? It does seem strange that my little boy is taking similar medication to me even though he doesnt have di. It is working for him though so that is all that matters! :D Whats the difference between the two medications? I tried desmotabs in the past and it didnt work for me at all is desmomelts (di version ofcourse) more effective than desmo tabs? Lisa
member_32969

Postby member_32969 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 pm

I asked for desmomelts today because I have a cold and the spray hasnt been working very well. The tablets have never worked well for and I explained this. The chemist didnt have any in and they said theyd deliver them this afternoon. They delivered ddavp tablets! I rang the pharmacist up and said there was a mistake as I had asked for the melts to be prescribed and they said no the prescription said tablets but they'll contact the drs. Anyway the nurse practitioner who I saw this morning rang me up and said she was really sorry but she knows I specifically asked for melts but the computer wouldnt allow her to prescribe them because they cost £250 per pack of 30!!! And I need 3 a day! :o
member_32969

Postby andypandy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:54 pm

I am also on the spray as I didn't find the tablets very good but my Dr mentioned that they also do an injection. I don't know any details but it may be an option instead of the melts. It is roughly £1.10 per amp. so cheaper than the melts but that all I know sorry. Good luck.
andypandy

Return to Diabetes Insipidus