Breast cancer screening

Breast cancer screening

Postby Mgh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:46 pm

I can't find any previous related posts. Has any hypopituitary patient out there been recalled for a follow up screening and/or been diagnosed with breast cancer? I know I will be able to make some more inquiries on Monday but meanwhile I am asking myself if I should stop my Growth Hormone injection and discontinue with HRT patch. I hope there is someone out there who is will and able to share any experience they have had?
Thank you :?:
Mgh

Re: Breast cancer screening

Postby Pat » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:20 am

Our Medical committee said in a related query about GH: There is no evidence that GH replacement causes re-growth of pituitary tumours, nor that it precipitates cancers elsewhere. Where patient to develop a cancer elsewhere there would need to be a discussion about the continuation/not of GH (with endocrinologist).
Patient Info says on recalls: About 4 in 100 women are asked to attend again for further more detailed tests. This may be because the X-ray picture is not clear, or to look more closely at a particular area of the breast. This is obviously a concern, but only 1 of the 4 women called back for further tests actually has cancer. In the rest, the shadows, marks or other abnormalities that are detected in the screening test turn out to be harmless.
let us know how you get on
Pat

Postby Mgh » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:05 pm

Thank you Pat. I will post an update after Thursday's appointment.
Mgh

Postby Mgh » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:43 pm

Thankfully, I can report that I have been given the all clear after my second round of screening and physical examination by an experienced doctor. She is very sure that the slight change in texture in upper quadrant of right breast is not due to a cancerous change. Moreover, when looking at the factors that influence breast cancer, I come out at very low risk. Of course as a pituitary patient I know that rare things can happen so mustn't get complacent and must continue checking.

In my last GH blood test in November I was mildly high and am due a retest soon. Because I was mildly high, I stopped the daily GH injection for six nights until Thursday when I got the all clear. I was told I had taken the right action for me. After my next GH blood test results I will revisit the regular HRT dosage with my GP. Addressing one thing at a time so as to adapt the replacement regime gradually.

I have noticed that I can usually manage through a stressful time but it is afterwards that I suffer. As well as the stress of not knowing, I have had a busy few days and now feel out of sorts, cold and extremely tired. Two examples of this are: I had great difficulty on Sunday night with knowing how to give myself the GH injection (this is after four years of use) and yesterday I had not the strength to do some of the Pilates exercises I had been able to do well two weeks previously. I wonder if this is related to insufficient cortisone or GH or a combination.

I think many pituitary patients notice that it is easy to 'knock things out of kilter' and we have to continually work at keeping ourselves as well as possible using whatever information and support are available. Thank you so much to Alison and Pat from the foundation who have been so supportive over the past five years.....none of us need feel alone.
Mgh

Postby Carl » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:48 am

Mgh wrote:none of us need feel alone.

Absolutely!
Carl

Postby Pat » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:15 am

I'm delighted all went well at your recall. How stressful is that wait!
There may have been some link to not having your GH for six nights, re feeling low and unable to do your usual exercise.
I remember some years ago running out of needles for GH pen (over Christmas period) and I really did feel the difference of having no GH.

take care & thank you very much for your kind words about Alison & me.

'You'll never walk alone'
Pat

Return to Living with Pituitary