Illness affects metabolism of DDAVP (?)

Illness affects metabolism of DDAVP (?)

Postby K9Trainer » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:53 pm

Hello

I am wondering if anyone else with DI has noticed that if they get ill their requirement of Desmopressin changes? I have regularly found that my need for it goes up, sometimes quite significantly. For instance, I currently have a virus and yesterday I was going to the loo every 15 minutes with a full bladder on my usual dose! :shock:
K9Trainer

Re: Illness affects metabolism of DDAVP (?)

Postby member_32337 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:02 am

hi
i have been ill with vertigo for the last 8 weeks and i have experienced the same. i needed to take my spray twice aday and sometimes this didnt help much. it made me realise what we have to put up with.
member_32337

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:01 pm

if i have to increase my hydrocortisone (if unwell/fever) I find my usual dose doesn't cover me as well as usual and 'breaks through' more quickly.
In a national pituitary conference some years ago, we were told that inadequate hydrocortisone secretion (steroid deficiency) masks cranial DI symptoms or may reduce the amount of DDAVP required to control symptoms. Thus, on adequate HC it unmasks DI symptoms.
So it may be to do with this....?
Pat

Postby Bill » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:31 pm

Hmm! Noticed on Xmas day, in evening and during night my Desmopressin didn't seem to be working very well.Could this be due to an over indulgence of turkey,stuffing,roast & mashed potatoes and not forgetting the huge ammount of trifle consumed ? Anyone else have this problem?
Anyway must go all this talk of food has made me feel rather peckish. :D
cheers
Bill
Bill

Postby Pat » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:22 am

Hi Bill

might be down to eating different foods on christmas day; more salty perhaps?
alcohol could upset the balance...was there any in the trifle?? :D
Pat

Postby Bill » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:43 pm

not sure about the salt, but there was some sherry in the trifle and I did eat a considerable ammount. But ate such a large variety of food in such large ammounts its hard to point a finger. lol! :D
Bill

Postby Coco » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:11 pm

Does anyone else on desmopressin have a problem consuming alcohol? I've been on desmopressin for 6 months since my surgery and have not been able to drink more than 2 alcoholic drinks (without feeling VERY ill) since?

Do other people have this problem or is it possible to still drink on desmopressin? At the risk of sounding like a bit of an alkie, I really do miss getting a little squiffy from time to time :(
Coco

Postby Pat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:09 am

Hi Coco

as alcohol tends to reduce vasopressin secretion, it can make it less easy for us with DI to drink alcohol, but not impossible if careful. Drinking water between and after wine has helped, although dilutes the (nice squiffy) effects! No awful dehydrated hangover though.
Anyone else have problems...?
Pat

Postby Bill » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:30 pm

While on the subject of alcohol I am on desmopressin,thyroxine,hydrocortisone,grwth hormone and testosterone. I seldom drink alcohol nowadays and haven't since starting these medications,but can I have say a glass of wine or a pint of cider without adverse effects? :)
Bill
Bill

Postby Pat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:57 pm

Our Pituitary Gland booklet says that "there is no interaction between alcohol and replacement hormones; you are allowed to drink in moderation, for example one or two units a day"
Pat

Next

Return to Diabetes Insipidus